Giving thanks for Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chip NoVaMac, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

(Did a search and did not see anything that would conflict with this posting.)

I give thanks for my continued good health.

For the ability to give to those that need much more than I enjoy each day.

For the love and support from my sister, friends,and co-workers, as I try to find a new life as a "single person" after ending a 13+ relationship at the ripe old age of 48! :eek:

I give thanks that each day I have a roof over my head, food on my table, and clothes on my back.

I also give thanks that with the above I am able to travel. There are many thanks to have been given the opportunity to have traveled the likes of Iceland, London, Jamaica, Grand Caymans, and Mexico this year. Each stop has shown me that I have so much more to be thankful for.

There are so many other things that I could have mentioned. So I guess that I am thankful for each new day - in order to see the wonders of life of each new dawn.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm thankful to have my family, friends, and good health. Those are always #1.

There's plenty more to be thankful for, including enjoying what I do each day and having the luck to be an optimist, so I spend more time noticing what's good, and expecting it to stay that way, and less time worrying about anything that's wrong.

3. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

A Thanksgiving Memory:

Me and my buddy had nothing going on, so we drove to eastern Washington to raft the Wenatchee River, which was usually not possible except in the spring. This year was unusual because Washington had experienced torrential rains and river run-offs.

We are dressed very warm, with wet-suits underneath, and professional water-proof rafting gear outside. We had a thermos of coffee (with a nice amount of Jamison), a bottle of peach schnapps (official drink of cold-weather rafting), snacks and stash.

Mid-way through the trip, we came to a rapid we had ran a hundred times; Drunkards Drop. The unusual time of year made the huge wave at the bottom break 45 degrees to the current. We flipped faster than we could comprehend what had happened. My next recollection was trying to climb from under the overturned raft, and onto the bottom, which was now the top. It seemed like an hour before our freezing, numb finger could free the oars (now submerged). We managed to just barely row the raft into an eddy beside an apple orchard (and just upstream of another rapid).

What followed was a nightmare. Our cameras, stash, wallets, truck keys, etc. were in our cooler. It burst open as we turned the raft over. We watched in (not silent) disbelief as all our important belongings disappeared with the river current. Having little else to do, we began to tear off our water-soaked clothing when we heard a call from across the river, "Hey, do you guys need help?" In two-part harmony, "YES"!

Soon a brand-new Lincoln Continental came weaving its' way through the deserted orchard. Two strapping lads helped us to collect what we could and drove us to the spanish-style home on the bluff. Soon we were relaxing in a 102 degree hot tub, drinking exceptionally large Irish coffees, watching the Thanksgiving Day football, while our clothes were washed and dried. Afterwards, we joined a dozen strangers (now friends) for Thanksgiving dinner.

When the owner learned we had lost our truck keys, he loaned us his spare Lincoln Continental to drive back to Seattle, with an agreement we would return it in the 'next couple weeks'.

It has been nearly 20 years since this 'adventure' took place. But, every year I call them and thank them for their generosity. We always share a few laughs and I come away with a renewed appreciation of what this holiday is supposed to symbolize; generosity and caring for your fellow human being.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Same here. :)

EDIT- Excellent story SMM. :)

5. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Yes, all that and there is a 12 foot swell thumping my beach tonight... gratitude is an action word. Don't say it - show it!:)

6. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

There have been many such blessings in my life. Thank you for reminding me of them.

Life is a journey with many twists and turns.

I have learned the hard way, that is the toughest points in our lifes that in the in end provide the greatest comfort. Much like the foot prints in the sand....

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sounds like a great thing to give thanks for. :D :)

8. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Wow, amazing story! see? There ARE genuinely good people in the world.
    ----------------
    I'm thankful for my family, especially my grandparents.
    I am thankful for my doctors who do their best to help me with my condition.
    I am thankful for my friends who keep me laughing. Every single day.
    And I'm thankful for all of my fellow MR users. Thank You.

9. iRachel macrumors 6502a

My family, friends, health, and laughter.

happy thanksgiving to everyone at MR.