Giving tiffs & jpegs multiple name tags without changing the name?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eclipse, Sep 7, 2006.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Hi all,
    we run a design business and end up with photo's that we own on our hard-drive. I'm wondering what the best software is for giving each photo a name tag, without changing the name? (We need to leave the filename the same so that we can find where we bought the image, what the company called it, etc.)

The ultimate goal is to be able to label the photo as appropriate.... "couples, cafe, dinner, laughing" might all apply to the one photo.

Any ideas? Do iPhoto do this, and I just have not learned how to use it yet?

2. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

I just saw it... "keywords" in iPhoto, is that right?
    or is there something better?

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

There are multiple ways to do this. iPhoto and Photoshop both offer their own methods of adding keywords, or, at the OS level, you can add spotlight keywords to files in the get info pane (apple+I) or set up automator workflows to tag files with spotlight keywords.

To expand on this, it means that you could set up smart folders for say, each stock house, or by royalty-free or rights-managed, and on and on. I wish my agency was this disciplined. Unfortunately our back-log is too daunting to attempt such a task.