giving up a canopus editing system to buy FC Studio – is it wise?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by willustrator, Oct 9, 2005.

1. willustrator macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2005
    I have FCE on my powerbook, it was insufficient to do realtime preview on external NTSC monitor... I bought a an editing system (canopus dv storm on a 3.4 Ghz processor) for US$3500 landed in Jamaica. I pay rent of about US$200 per month and a gas bill of US$250 to travel back and forth to edit on that system (no space at home, and i was hoping to get an assistant).
    The short story is, i am thinking of giving up the space, buying FC studio for the realtime previews on the tv-screen via firewire, Ext HDD and camcorder. and selling the system... to cover the cost of the software, putting my saved monthly expenditure toward my new mortgage.

Is it fair to say that with the exception of Hi def tasks, and motion 2 i will still be able to kick ass (run smoothly) on my 17" PB (1Ghz 1GB) with the remaining FCP STP and DVD pro, considering I already have AE6 for motion graphics
  2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I bet it will edit smoothly. Rendering will be slow and you'll probably be limited to DV and HDV for storage reasons, but if you don't edit uncompressed anyway then that's a non-issue. And how much you can do w/RT preview out via FW depends on how many layers and/or what kind of effects you are applying to the video.