Giving up food for Nike+

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BigPrince, Jan 2, 2007.

1. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Hey all, after Macworld I plan on getting in better shape by eating better, not eating out (save $) and running with the Nike+.

I am interested in:

A. Your success stories

B. I am interested in the shoes you run with, mainly Nike, but any shoe is good enough. I have wide feet so if your in the same boat, let me know!

Thanks,
    Oliver

2. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I wish my knee's werent so bad, then I could run a whole lot, with the nike+..

I'm going to get back to the gym for basic weight training, and also 'body combat' (for cardio)

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

TYPICALLY, Nikes run on the narrow side. A few of them come in widths though, although I don't know if that is true of any of the Nike+ shoe. I run in a pair of Asics. LOVE them. I went up to Fleet Feet, a running specialty shop, and the person there took one look at me and went to the back to grab the shoe. I suggest finding a running shop, NOT a mall store like Foot Locker or Finish Line, and letting them pick your shoe out for you. You may pay a little more than you might find it elsewhere, but it's well worth it.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Buy New Balance, Asics, Brooks, and several others. Nike is "OK." Someone in the running shop in the store I used to work in ("the best sports store in Toronto" in many respects, especially tennis, shoes, ski, and 2nd in the city in snowboard gear) said Nike was probably 4th or 5th on the list of running shoes he'd recommend. That was 5 years ago, but I'm just going to guess that Asics is still #1 (as long as your feet are a certain proportion, while New Balance is likely 1st or 2nd best).

5. Motley macrumors 6502

Tried cycling? My knees don't do well running but still feel fine after 50 miles on a bike.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

asics are the way to go. I've been running in them for 10 years and they're great. Nikes are NOT the way to go for those of us with even slightly wider than average feet.

8. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

well i would say no but i've been know to walk for a little bit :D so yes sure it's a good fun anyhow:)

9. illstabyou macrumors newbie

illstabyou

As silly as it sounds, the webpage on Nike+ is a really great motivator for me to get out and run. I was a bit of a runner before I got the Nike+ kit, but I can honestly say that thing helped my running tenfold.

As silly as it sounds, the big motivator for me is I get a little rush everytime I get to log another workout on it and see the webpage. That thing is so cool! :)

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Honestly I think Nike shoes are over price POS. I quite buying Nike after I had a pair of their shoes fall apart on me. That and I figure out that I could get better shoes for less money. That was also when I discovered New Balance because I could get a pair of those for 60 bucks that where more comfortable, more durable, lighter and general better than a 100 dollar pair of Nike shoes. Now I do not wear new balance any more because I discovered North Face Trail runners and I fell in love with them (yes the north face ones cost more but I really do like them).

The reason I would never get the Nike+ is because they are Nike and Nike shoes are just over price POS shoes in my opinion.

11. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I could never buy a pair of Nike shoes. My feet are too complicated!

12. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

I got my kit, started running. I'm running in older pair of Fila basketball shoes.

13. kentrox99 macrumors member

I used the poor-man's velcro system for a few runs. I decided to break down and buy some Nike+ shoes. Found them on sell anyways.
    The challenges are the way to go. Great motivators.

Plus my gym started a work-out challenge. Greatest percentage of body-fat lost in 3 months gets an iPod. I already have one, but who couldnt use another:)

14. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Geez, man. Get yourself a proper pair of shoes as soon as possible. :) Maybe "reward" yourself at the end of a goal or something. You're not going to want to do more than a mile at a time (which I think I read in another thread you were around) in those for too long. Your feet, shins, knees, hips, and back will thank you.

15. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

So far I am comfortable in them, but if I do start feeling uncomfortable I will.

thx.

16. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I hope I didn't come off rudely. I didn't mean it that way at all...

17. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

no, not at all. I was being honest. So far I feel fine, but i've only just started. I have a pair of rebok that I can use if these get uncomfortable.

Thanks for the advice.

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

So the Nike + iPod Sport Kit works fine with out the Nike+ shoes? I just want to make sure before I put out 30 bucks, maybe a little more for running headphones.

19. kentrox99 macrumors member

As long as you find a good way to attach the sensor to your shoes, it should work fine. There are pouches to hold the sensor. I sewed velcro on my shoe tounge and that worked fine. I just felt better having the sensor inside my shoe. It's up to you.

20. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

Most everything I've read has indicated that it works just as well.

21. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Yep, there are workarounds. Our very own flowbee has some excellent do-it-yourself suggestions on his website. Personally, I've cut a slot into the inside of my trainer's tongue and pop the receiver in there. Works a treat.

22. 7on macrumors 601

7on

haha, the whole "give up food for Apple products." :) That's happened to me before, unfortunately it was because I couldn't afford food when I bought said Apple product :(

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Sorry for barging in with my own question, but what armstrap did you guys use with your Nanos? I don't like the Nike one because you can't see the screen, and supposedly the one sold by Apple has a really bad Velcro that loses it's "stick" after a few months.

Other than buying the Nike armband and cutting out a hole for the screen, i don't know what alternatives I have. :confused:

24. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020