Giving up smoking, getting Nike+iPod

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by liketom, Oct 13, 2006.

1. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

I've been umming an arring for over 3 years about giving up the ciggys and getting fit.

So i just bought a Nike+iPod adapter for my Nano some new Nike iPod shoes and an iPod armband and a new tracksuit to match.

in fact i feel Nike'd out at the moment:rolleyes:

So am i alone on this one or has anyone else here done the same to kick the weed?

i get my delivery next Monday so Monday night will be my first run:cool: and it would be cool if i can run with some of my Macrumors, so send me your name to add to the http://www.nike.com/nikeplus/ website and i can run with you :)

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Glad to hear that you decided to give up smoking and get in shape. Good luck on your exercising liketom. :)

3. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Congrats and stay strong. It will be tough, but in a few months, you will be glad you did it!

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yes, getting in shape and staying away from tobacco will be tought at first, but it will all pay off in the long run. :)

5. Lau Guest

Well done! I gave up smoking a few years back, and once you make up your mind to really do it it's not difficult at all.

I'm giving up big fat pies and getting a Nike + thingy, so we're not dissimilar. :p I'm not sure when mine will arrive, but I'll let you know my name on the thing when I do. :)

6. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I gave up smoking for 2-3 months now you have to stick with it.

Here is how it went for me:
    days - 1-2 Very very hard, i could not sleep well, the thought of smoking never left my mind.
    - 3-4 getting better, i started to cough a lot, i felt very bad as if i did not stop smoking.
    - 5-10 gets better everyday, i cough a lot and had a runnign nose.
    - 10-20 i did not feel like smoking at all, it was very easy.
    - 20-25 was very hard on me, dont know why but i was thinking of smoking again.
    30-now I dont feel like smoking at all, i can run faster for longer, i sleep better and wake up more fresh.

7. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

Thanks all for your kind words, it's gonna be hard i think , i just bought some Patches and some gum to stop my cravings and i'm hoping the running will let me take my mind off things - :) Lau let me know when you get it i'll add your name so we can run together:)

8. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

i get the feeling - No Pain , No gain on this one - well no one said it was going to be easy but i think in the long run i will be glad i did.

Keep up the good work BTW

9. Lau Guest

I found it wasn't really any physical cravings after the first day or two, more the mental stuff, like being in a pub or having a coffee after dinner. In fact, every now and again, if I'd had a lot to drink and really couldn't resist, I would sometimes have one (we're talking less than once every couple of months). It got less and less though, and because they tasted so disgusting after having not had one for a while, I became less and less likely to do it. Even if you can't resist doing that once every now and again it's not the end of the world, just keep going after it, and you'll find you just learn that it's not actually going to be that nice when you do.

I'll let you know when I get the Nike thing. This is a good schedule to follow if you're new to running, by the way, as trying to run miles in one go at the start isn't a good thing, and this makes it much easier. I've just started to follow it again myself, and so I'm near the beginning too. Our lovely resident Flowbee has some good info on his site too. :)

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

that first schedule has you running 1 minute and walking 90 seconds for the first week. that's only 2.5 minutes of exercise, a lot of good that's going to do! :p (i reread it and see that it says to repeat 8 times. i'm an moron)

thanks for the link. it's about time for me to get back on a regiment again, and while i'd imagine i'm not at the lowest beginner level, i am encouraged by the suggestions on that site.

and good luck liketom!

11. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Good for you!

I've done a similar thing, but no at the same time.

I gave up cold turkey 18 months ago after reading the Alan Carr book! I had tried numerous times before that last ing from a few hours to a few days but with no success. I have not been near a cigarette since and have not changed my lifestyle to avoid being in situations of fags and booze. It worked a treat.

12 days ago I thought I'd work on the fitness thing, and got the nike+ kit and a 50% off nano from the refurb store. I have been for 6 runs (more than in the last year!) and hopefully this is one habit I can pick up! The nike+ has helped enourmously, because it gives me goals and lets me track my progress.

And I need the aid of gadgets, as I found in the past, taking up running harder than giving up smoking! I finally see some point in it now, and am already feeling better for it.

Good luck with the smoking and the running –*and believe in yourself!

12. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

i was really suprised when i did the Sport relief Mile as i run it in 7 min 11 Sec , made me think about back before i started smoking (16) when i could run a mile in 5 min 40 sec:( infact when i was younger i used to love running

Makes me think why i started smoking in the first place :mad: o yeah that's right because it was cool back then round the bad lads.

Anyway - my weekend is going to be filled up with me making playlists for running :)

13. Lau Guest

:D

I think that's why I found it helpful though — there's no way I could have run for more than 5 minutes, if that, when I started, and so I would have just been totally demoralised and would have felt a right tit going out, running for 5 min and then going home again. And when I'd been at school, I'd always been crap at running, because they expected you to be able to just run for 20 minutes and I never could.

Now running 2 minutes and walking for 2 minutes 10 or 15 times is fine, I could do that for half an hour or more, and as you get fitter you get better and better and suddenly realise you're running for 12 minutes 3 times with just a 1 minute break in between, and you're not far off being able to just run and run. It's all good.

14. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

You are wise to follow that schedule Lau.

My problem has always going in to strongly, by starting out doing 20min runs from scratch and then getting niggling injuries that make me give up.

Your lungs will adapt to the exercise quicker than your muscles and ligaments, so it is very good to start slowly.