Glacéau SmartWater..

Discussion in 'Community' started by asif786, Jan 19, 2005.

1. asif786 macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2004
    London, UK.

i've recently started drinking glacéau smartwater. So far I'm on about 2/3 bottles (750ml) a day. Today, somebody said to me that it's bad to be drinking distilled water regularly..does anyone know about this?

I did a bit of research, and it turns out that distilled water doesnt contain things that are in nomrla water (calcium/potassium/magnesium) or something to that effect. Glacéau SmartWater does contain these things though (they get added).

In London, one 750ml bottle costs £1.25 ($2.50), which isnt *too* bad. I know it's a bit on the high end, but if it's good water, I dont mind..but I need to know that the water I'm drinking is safe, and isn't going to have any long term effects. Also, does drinking water of this kind present any benefits?.

Does anyone else here drink this stuff regularly? (would make me feel a lot better for starters;) ), and secondly, does anyone have any info about this sort of thing?

2. joetronic macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2004
    New Oxford, PA
    I have heard that drinking distilled water will push all the water out of your muscles. But I think only if you cut back on your soduim intake. I remember having a body biulder neighboor that would always drink distilled water before he would have a compatition.

I'm not sure if thats true though, just something I heard somewhere.

I think if they add all the minerals to the water, the only reason they distill it is so they can controle how much is in the water, for your benifit.
  3. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    I think it's more important that you are drinking a good amount of water - so many people these days drink far too little water.
  4. oldschool macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2003
    Smart water is fine. It has the electrolytes you need, added in a proper proportion...its like gatorade without flavor or sugar.

Drink Up.
  5. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2004
    Denver, CO
    here we go, straight from the scientests mouth:
    Distilled water is nothing special. You dont gain anything from drinking it, other than hydration. It has no electrolytes (the ions, mostly salts, that transmit electricity in your body), no minerals, and no flouride. Its not gonna kill you. However, if you were to inject yourself with distilled water, your red blood cells would osmose so much water that they would explode. that is why they give you saline in IVs, and not water.
  6. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I didn't like SmartWater or other distilled water - it just tasted 'flat' to me. I also didn't particularly rate the 'Fuji' water which was another recent trend here. Not keen on Evian either tho I don't mind Volvic

I prefer soft water to those with more calcium in them - probably because I grew up with my tapwater coming from the same place as Highland Spring et al. I tend to just have bottles of Waitrose Scottish mineral water in my fridge. Lovely!