Glad this did not happen to my Powerbook

Discussion in 'Community' started by Palad1, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Here's what UPS sent me today.

God am I glad they did not bring my pbook in the same state...

[​IMG]

Okay, looks good...
    Hey, why are the strings so loose? hmmm let's see... :confused:

[​IMG]
    :eek: Is that a truss rod? I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO SEE THAT ! :eek:

[​IMG]
    :mad: Oh god help the poor support employee that will get my call monday morning... :mad:

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Oooh, that looks vicious.

:/ Try not to take it out on them – surely, there’s nothing the call center could have done to prevent this. Also, if you’re polite, they’re more likely to want to be nice to you.

Hope everything turns out ok.

3. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

UPS is notorious for manhandling stuff. I used to use them for shipping my ebay items but they broke to much - heck, even the USPS is better than them on average.

I hope your package was insured. Good luck with them and remember to be nice to the person on the phone - it may help to get this resolved.

4. haiggy macrumors 65816

Sorry to hear about your guitar but this line gave me a laugh: :eek: Is that a truss rod? I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO SEE THAT ! :eek:

Hope everything works out for you.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It took till the third picture to see your damage. That is terrible. Sure hope that UPS will make good on the damage. The shipper must not have learned the Apple method of packing.

6. Palad1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Glad it gave someone a laugh!
    -Always look at the bright side of life...- monty pythons

The more I look at my guitar the more I think she has an open fracture... eek!

I know the support guy has nothing to do with this, it seems like the person who shipped it forgot to relieve tension on the strings (this thing has 80kg tension at the base of the neck, just where the fracture started) before shipping...

Well, at least I know I'll never, ever, break an instrument on stage, a la "the who", just seeing this one is way too painful!

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i once shipped some broken glass via UPS, and they managed to break that.

8. Timboid macrumors newbie

Think the break is right on the scarf joint where it is traditionally an easier place to fracture. Think a competent luthier would have no problem fixing it so you'd never know that it had been broken. So it's probably not ALL bad news. But such a shame it happened in the first place.

Hope it all works out for you.

9. Palad1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Thanks, with some luck I'll get the replacement guitar tonight... I hope I'll be able to post some nicer pics :D

10. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

That's a fairly common break on Gibson's. All guitars acutally, with the 13 degree angled headstock.

As someone said above, any competent luthier should be able to fix it.

As far as UPS, I hope you took pictures of the packaging. I know FedEx has been giving people who have had items broken a really hard time with their insurance claims, citing "improper packaging, it's not our fault".

11. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Ouch I hope you had insurance on the package.... good luck with it.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It breaks my heart
    To see those stars
    Smashing a perfectly good guitar.

I don't know who
    They think they are
    Smashing a perfectly good guitar.​

Sorry, your comment about the Who reminded me of that John Hiatt song.

13. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

It's very common and its possible to fix. It happened to my guitar a few years back (my little bro' borrowed it when I was out of town..).

Even if you look careful on mine you can't see that it has been damaged :D

Take it to the nearest guitar centre, they have probably fixed many of them.

Good luck with your guitar!

14. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

[​IMG]

Don't even get me started on UPS. I will NEVER again use that sack o' *@#* service. Last year I was at a sci-fi con in PA. Purchased a piece of art for a pretty penny. I shipped it home. It was on canvas stretched on a wood border. When I got home first and foremost the thing was sitting out in front of my house next to the garage even though I specifically specified that a signed signature was required. Since I live in an attached row of townhouses anyone could have come up and taken it. That got my blood boiling as it is. What made me want to strangle someone was the picture below. There was a 4 in gash in the package. I **** you not I just about fell over when I saw that. I rushed inside and but for the grace of god the gash was on the flip side of where the canvas was stretched. If it had been on the opposite side...*shudders* Never again will I use UPS. Brown can go bankrupt for all I care. PS I insured the package for $700 but frankly since its art $$$ is pretty much pointless.

Attached Files:

15. Palad1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Palad1

All is well that ends well

I got a new guitar, the shipping cost was turned into a free fly case & strap locks...

All is well that ends well :D

[​IMG]

16. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I'm glad they replaced your guitar! Don't leave the new one in FedEx custody again.. :p

Merry Christmas!

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Its even better when you take something electronic that you just sold on ebay to the post office, all packed and ready to ship, and you gently place it on the counter, pay for postage, and the attendant picks it up. After picking it up the attendant delicately drops it to the floor of the post office with resounding, echoing crack, and then throws it into the big bin of packages, and, with a wink, says "You didn't see that happen." Luckily, I over package things that must be sent by mail...so it worked out well enough. :cool:

18. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

UPS dropped my imac i bought from ebay in front of my face and now it has video issues.....

19. urban1985_ macrumors regular

You didn't do anything about it?

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

also the truss rod opening up at the headstock instead of the highest fret (like in most martins) does not help

mahogany, while hard, is also a very brittle wood...thus you don't see a lot of headstock breaks on a maple neck...some gibson les paul customs have maple necks and they rarely break...the les paul standard, junior, special, studio, and most gibson sg models have mahogany necks

21. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Wow that was a pretty nasty break :(

I've had guitars shipped to me before and everything worked out okay, but they both came packed *really* well.

22. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

UPS, it isnt prounced U-P-S, its meant to be prounced OOPS! :D

23. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

This is why Im glad I live only an hour away from the MusiciansFriend warehouse, I would have cried if that had happened to my Les Paul.