Gladiators Are Now Engaged in Total War

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Jul 28, 2003.

1. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

2. macrumors newbie

This has got to be one of the more even-handed polemics I've seen in a long, long time. Bravo!

The degree to which the various politicos of whatever sort will use arrant babble and outright lies to further agendas or gain advantage for his party over the opposition has become absolutely sickening--which might explain the falling numbers of folks who are voting.

A few years back, my mother queried, "Where are the statesmen? We used to have statesmen!" She was thinking of various folks from the 1920s-1950s. Speaker Sam "Mr. Sam" Rayburn was one that she had in mind. My response was, "Statesmen? Hell, I'll settle for a mature adult!"

'Rat

3. macrumors member

A nice piece with interesting perspectives. I might add, however, that the complaints about the California recall percentage required being low is somewhat moot now as they got about double the number of signatures needed, making it much close to the numbers required in other states.

4. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah they did make it close, but I mean what all you need really is to find every republican or a person who loves Arnold and they will sign it.

California with all of its referendums... crazy what happend when the *people* get to chose.

5. thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Glad you liked it. In the politics of destruction, moderation seems to have become a casualty.

6. macrumors member

About a third of the signatures were democrats. A whole lot of people just don't like the guv.

BTW, I am no fan of the referendum crazy in California.

7. SPG
    macrumors 65816

SPG

Doesn't hurt to hire a bunch of professional signature gatherers to get your "people" to act.

8. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I like what Bill Maher said -- (paraphrasing) don't take away who the people who actually bothered to show up and vote for by getting people to sign a paper on their way out of Target.