Glasgow, Scotland - UK (iP4)

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by billyjoegibsonx, Jun 18, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Hey!

Did a search and it seems to only be threads for previous iPhone launches. With less than a week to go I thought I'd make a thread so we can talk about meeting up :)

So whos all going to the Apple store here in Glasgow? Have you reserved or not? What time are you going to que and....what iPhone are you going to get? 16/32gb? Will you be going PAYG or Contract? And with what carrier? :D

Also if you are going to a carrier store, i think its safe to say feel free to contribute to this thread :eek:

So let's get it started ... ;)

I have my 16gb iPhone 4 (to use on o2/orange payg) reserved to pick up on the 24th at Buchanan street store :D I phoned up and they said I could go in whenever and pick my phone up but I think just to be safe I'll be going in early as possible! I think ill turn up 7-8 am :)

2. macrumors newbie

Hey mate,

Im heading along to the Glasgow store on launch day too, going to get there for 7am. I've never been so early on launch day but gotta get to work afterwards so will see how it goes.

Pre-ordered the 16gb, black, unlocked/sim free whatever ye wanna call it, canny wait :D

3. macrumors 6502a

I'll be there between 7am-8am and have reserved a 32gb :)

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Same as me then :) I'm going to try get in for 7am, If not then 8am...if thats no possible then it'll need to be in the afternoon! but hopefully 7-8am :D

Do you think we will actually be guaranteed one? If not, will 7-8am be fine to turn up?

5. macrumors newbie

We should be guaranteed one, according to the email it will be kept for that 1 day...still going down for 7am though, easier to go before my work :)

6. macrumors member

I have reserved a 16gb black but was going to get to the store for about 6:30 and hope they have white ones in stock at the store. I have never been on a launch day.

Is there massive queues at the Glasgow store on a launch day?

What time would you guys suggest getting there for to get a near the front of the queue?

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah i phoned them up and said yeah i should get one, but i'm going to try get there early as possible :) and if they have any white ones available, which i doubt, and you can get one then i will :)

This is my first launch at any apple store :) but everyone thats posted seems to be looking at turning up about 7-8am :)

8. macrumors regular

I've reserved a 16GB Black, not sure if the white ones will be available on the 24th. I don't know whether to change from O2 and go with Orange, I used to be an Orange customer before the iPhone and it was a decent network. But my understanding is, that Apple are selling them without a carrier, i.e. unlocked and network free. Not sure after what I have read, whether you will actually get a SIM package at the Apple Store. Might have to pay a visit to O2 or Orange shops after getting the phone.

Although I've been watching videos about how to cut down your SIM Card to fit in the micro SIM slot. I know that O2 are giving out Micro SIMS to existing customers as of Monday if you can provide a copy of your iPhone 4 pre-order, just don't know if this applies to reservations, as my reservation email from Apple doesn't actually give personal details or a res. number.

I plan on getting to the Glasgow Store as early as possible on the 24th. I have a day off work and normally get up at 5:30am anyway, so getting there early shouldn't be a problem. My mate has a 16GB Black on reserve as well.

Looking forward to it, I got my iPad on launch day, but it was shipped out. Last year on the 19th of June, I went into the Glasgow Apple store in the afternoon after work and picked up a 3SG that I hadn't reserved or pre-ordered, but I don't think there was the same demand for the 3GS as there is for the iPhone 4.

Lets hope the weather stays as is, I don't fancy standing in the rain, would have been cool if the store was in a shopping centre. Maybe we'll have to brave the scottish weather. :)

Can't wait.

Raymond

9. thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope the whites are available but if not then aslong as theres black ones!! :) lol I want it unlocked/sim free but i chose PAYG when making the reservation. Will this be okay? A read you can change but cant find it :( if i need to get it locked it'll be to o2, but i wouldnt get it locked to orange. I think apple might only give you a sim if you go with payg/contract. If u get one great if not then ill be trying o2 and orange, if i cant get one ill be cutting a sim up :) well i think i might print the email out, i'll have my iphone with me, and my current phone. So they cant really say no! Lol they'll see i have an iphone and am with o2. But we'll see! I'll be there as early as possible. Might get the first train into town at bout 6, and go que. Well the weather has been quite good lately but whatever ;) ive had worse. Sitting for 10 hours in the snow for concert tickets :eek: am sure ill manage for 2-3 hours in most likely nice weather :)

10. macrumors regular

I chose Orange on the reservation, just the stuff I've been reading since doing it on the 15th, makes me think you might not get a SIM package, but I think I could be wrong. Its a good idea to print off the email anyway, I'll be doing that. I've just sold my 3GS the other day, and I am using my O2 sim in another phone at the moment. I am going into the store tomorrow and might try and find out some more info from the staff, but I'll take my SIM along with me anyway. I want to keep my number and I still have credit on my original SIM which I know you can transfer.

Anyone know if the data usage differs from O2 and Orange ? I think you get free data for 12months and about 250mb allowance each month. Wondering if Orange's 3G is better than O2 ?

Raymond

11. thread starter macrumors 6502

I only know about payg. O2 text and web will give you unlimited internet which i think is 500mb a month. None sure about the limit on payg simplicity. Orange is offering 250mb data with free wifi (think this is 750mb) for 12 month:eek:

12. macrumors regular

Ive got a 16GB reserved for pick up, but unfortunately Im at work from 8am. Will be heading into town around 11am to go pick it up.

I was in the store today handing in my MacBook casing to get repaired as cracks started to show up. They told me that we'll get emails sent out shortly explaining what will happen on launch day basically saying what to bring, different queues, etc.

There will be a queue for those just turning up on the day and a queue for those picking up a reservation.

Hopefully at 11am the queues will of died down a bit as this store is nothing like Regent Street! :)

13. macrumors 68020

redgaz26

I'll be there for 7am, possibly earlier!!!:D

14. macrumors 68000

The Samurai

'mon the Scots :D

15. macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Will you be there?? Hope to see you!!!

16. macrumors regular

Anyone here had previous experiences of the queues?

I wont be there til mid-morning.

Will the queue still be big by 11am?

17. macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Have you reserved a phone ?? If so you have all day to go if not you may be lucky and they might still have some phones left by then, there certainly won't be a queue at that time.

18. macrumors regular

Ive got one reserved.

Still waiting to find out if there will be a seperate queue for reservations and one for those just turning up on the day.

19. macrumors regular

I Take it the Apple Store is only for pay as you go not contracts.I was thinking of just going to the vodafone store on buchanan street or the one on argyle street.

Jonathan

20. macrumors 68020

redgaz26

contracts aswell!!

21. macrumors member

Hey fellow Scottish Apple fans! I've got a 32GB black reserved, I've got a flight down to Heathrow booked at 1040, so hoping to get there about 0730, I hope theres not too big a Q as dont want to leave without my phone, but not sure my work would be happy with that :D

22. macrumors 68020

redgaz26

I'm sure you'll catch it:cool:

23. macrumors newbie

I shall be there bright and early, looking forward to it!

I've reserved a 16gb for o2 contract upgrade!

24. macrumors 68000

The Samurai

If not, you could give me the reservation money and code and ill pick it up for you :D.... and then leave the country :p

25. macrumors regular

Just got my reservation email!

Wooooo. Good to see there will be a seperate queue :)

[​IMG]