Glasses or Contacts?

Discussion in 'Community' started by CubaTBird, Jan 21, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Just wonderin' how many of you here wear glasses, contacts or neither? I myself wear glasses, I tried contacts once but found the hard gas ones uncomfortable.. For me glasses are a cinch to take on and off so I feel comfortable with them.
    :eek:

2. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

Glasses, but I'm about to get some more contacts. I like to switch depending on my outfit or the occasion.

3. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Perfect vision. :p
    And remember staring into the sun is good for your eyes. ;)

4. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

I also switch between glasses and contacts depending on who I might encounter at a particuar locale.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

I wear contacts - but mine are extended wear, extra breathable ones. I take them out once a month and throw them away. Otherwise, I hardly know they're there. I wear them to sleep, shower, whatever. Love 'em.

I also have glasses just in case, but rarely wear them.

6. MP2 macrumors member

During a normal day, I'm wearing contacts. I find them far less obtrusive compared to glasses.

But when I am at home (working on the computer, reading, cooking, etc.) I wear glasses, contacts tend to dry out on me after 6PM :(.

7. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

Contact Lenses. I have had them for about 12 months and love them. I am never going back to glasses now. I have the wear during the day and soak in some solution over night, and then wear again during the day etc, for a month, and then down the drain, and a new set. Called 'ProClear Compatibles' (anyone else think they sound like a computer?)

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, I wear glasses, as my eyes are too sensitive for contacts. I suppose I could get used to them, but my eyesight is not too bad - 20/20 in my right eye, but 20/300 in my left.

I have a nasty habit of losing or sitting on my glasses, however, so I have grown somewhat accustomed to normally seeing a little funky. I have developed a great abilty to extrapolate road signs and whatnot from blurry randomness by educated guessing from shapes and lengths. In fact, I worry about going back to the optomitrist <sp?>, as I am so good at it.

One major bummer about glasses - rain. Living where I do, it is an issue. Slighty more amusing is going outdoors/indoors with a rapid shift in temp/humidity and having your glasses fog up.

little rant: I despise having to pay for a new eye-test if my presciption is more than two years old. Oftentimes I have broken my glasses (or less often, lost them) and even though they were perfect for me mere hours ago (before catastrophe), I can't get them simply replaced.

9. acceber macrumors regular

Reading Glasses. But I only use it for the computer - and only when I'm bothered to go find them.
    My optometrist almost yelled at me the last time I got my eyes checked because I should be wearing them more often.
    I asked for contacts and she says that they're not suitable for me. :confused:

10. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Contacts for about 12 years. Focus Night & Days which can be worn for 30 days at a time (and to sleep in) without ever taking them out....and my eyes are rarely dry.
    I also have a pair of glasses that get worn for several days in b/t replacing my contacts.

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Soft Contacts. Change them every 3 months, but need to take em out at night. I'm a -7.75 in each eye (give or take) so iAm lost without them. They are great. Been wearing since I was 9 years old... my contacts are probably nearly as thick as most peoples glasses :p.

12. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I wear Ciba Vision Focus Dailies contact lenses. I wear 'em and throw 'em away at night. If I'm at home and not planning on going out, I usually wear glasses.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i wore contacts for about seven years, but im shifting back to glasses, because i notice now that i am getting fewer headaches wearing the glasses, so i guess maybe the contacts are an irritant for me or whatever

14. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Contacts

I got them when I was 10 (I'm 14) and I love them. I only take them off at night and I have a pair of glasses just for emergencys (meaning I dont know what they look like).

I would definately say go for contacts.

15. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I have glasses, but I never wear them. I have nearly 20/20 vision, so I didn't really need them, but they're just to help with fine detailed stuff; even then I can do without glasses. :cool: :)

16. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

20/300 sounds bad but I might be wrong.

17. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Here's a defintion of "20/20" from Google:

Link

18. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Glasses, since I was about 7 years old. I can't wear contacts; the one time I tried them out, it took the optometrist and his assistant using all four hands to pry my eyes open enough to get them in. He told me, "Stick with the glasses."

And I ain't even considering Lasik or any variation thereof until the problem rate drops to 0%. Don't mess with your eyes... that's my philosophy. :cool:

Oh, yeah, my vision's about 20/800 in both eyes.

19. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

i love my glasses. I feel they "make" my image. I just got new frames too...oakley frames ^_^

20. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Soft Contacts for 2 Years. From 1997 to 2002 Glasses. Now I can't stand glasses, except Sunglasses.

TEG

21. urban1985_ macrumors regular

Contacts. I only wear my glasses at home. I have the Night and Day lenses, but my eyes still get dry. I can sleep with them, but it's uncomfortable the next morning. It's also uncomfortable if I leave them on too long. I don't know why. So I just treat them like the normal, 30-day disposable lenses.

22. acceber macrumors regular

I want to get this done, because my optometrist won't let me get contacts and I despise wearing glasses. My mum won't let me do it though, even though I argue that my eyes, are my eyes.

What's the chance that something could go terribly wrong while having this procedure done?