Glastonbury!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by amnesiac1984, Jun 28, 2003.

1. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Well glastonbury seems to be running smoothly. DO you get coverage of it in the states? The coverage over here on 2 bbc channels is awesome. It gets very amusing late at night when John Peel is drunk and starts talking to the bands about their dogs for hours like last night.

Watching Supergrass at the moment, they rock. Rapid Eye Movement (R>E>M) were truly awesome last night. And Jo whiley interviewed Michael Stipe straight afterwards, he was obviously completely on a high.

Anyway, I'm glued to the TV tonight, right up until Radiohead finish Headlining tonight, its gonna be AWESOME. I only wish I was there., and if it wasn't for Ebay I probably could have but thats another story.

Anyone else watching the coverage, or is abnybody there? They might have internet stations or something so you could post! Maybe a poll when its finished to see how many members went!

2. iGav macrumors G3

Had the tickets not sold out in 18 hours then I would've been there as well... I refused to pay some of the stupid prices doing the rounds... :eek:

Next year, one ticket per person, per card... ;) :D

Shame, cos' this year is the first time since 1999 that the lineup has been worth it... although Zwan pulled out, but then again I got my Live Zwan fix from MTV2 at 4pm today!!

And the weather is the bomb at the mo, so it's even better!

Coverage is ok, with BBC2 being better than BBC3, as that guy presenting on BBC3 is a total nob... and they talk way too much.... it should just be the music, not some no-talent-hack-presenter with even less than zero talent rattling on like a dick.... :rolleyes:

Music's great though!! ;) :D :D

3. amnesiac1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Easy there :D, I do enjoy the commentary on 2 much more but when the big boys are playing 3 will have most of it and actually live whereas 2 has a few songs after the event with a lot of other stuff in between. BBC 3 should definatley sack that Tash girl although she ahs got a cute a$$! :D

4. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Go somewhere that can cope with your mess.

I wonder if any of the filth ridden scum buckets will manage to take some of their rubbish home with them. I hope there isn't going to be a hike in my council tax to pay for the huge Police operation and the enviromental clean up costs, if that much rubbish washed up on a beach somewhere it would make world headlines. I haven't even started to moan about the insurance rises to compensate for the tidle sized crime wave that has just hit the sleepy corner of my county.
    I hope you all have GREAT time at the local peoples expence.

Sorry to urinate on your fireworks, but what the world needs are dreamers not wasters.

5. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Re: Glastonbury!!!

i saw REM 3 days ago at Brixton - best gig of my life! (that's quite something seeing as i go to a gig a week minimum). Didn't think they seemed as good as they did @ brixton, but that's probably just because i was there. That said, Stipe wasn't moving as much as he did on wednesday, he seemed a little more on edge. Mikey Mill's BV's were a little rough too.

My friend was playing at Glasto yesterday in the acoustic tent - was hoping to sponge a free ticket out of it as i do her website, but she didn't get any so that didn't happen . Boo.

6. afonso macrumors member

dude!!

i was there as well!!! up front, right in front of him, squashed and squashing everyone next to me, sweating like a pig, with my mouth open during the breaks when security came to throw water at our mouths!!

omg, it was the most beautiful, incredible, mesmerizing gig i have ever seen. and i have seen THOUSANDS!

i go every month to at least two or three concerts, so u can imagine...

7. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

check out my pics - taken on my mobile.

was amazing, i loved it. twice as good than when i saw them in '99

8. amnesiac1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Re: Go somewhere that can cope with your mess.

Well, living in the home of the countries most historic festival, that sadly, is not the same no more, The Isle of Wight Festival was as big as glastonbury is today and our small island seemed to cope.

The glastonbury festival has been around for 33 years and you should be proud of it and accept it as part of the uniqueness of your part of the world. I live in Cowes on the Isle of Wight. Cowes week is the worlds single largest sailing regatta and I help organise it. It causes a huge amount of rubbish and litter and a massive clean up operation is in order afterwards. But it makes my little town a huge sum of money (billions) every year and its put it on the map.

As for your dreamers not wasters comment. I think you miss the point, glastonbury promotes so many good causes, thats what sets it apart from other festivals which are more commercial. Maybe if you did some dreaming you'd learn to appreciate the sort of thing that goes on at this event.

Sorry to excrete on your bonfire but the world needs passion, soul and creativity, not complaining.

9. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

patronise all you want

I know how long that festival has been going, just stop trying to kid yourself, I can't remember when people decided that making a big ol' mess for some other mugs to clear was a "really good cause" to promote, Forget the festival site, it's the trails of mess and crime that lead to its gates.

Maybe if you did some dreaming, that wasn't dependant on having your head in yer arse, you'd learn to appreciate the sort of things that go on outside of this event.

Like other peoples dreams. They do exist when you take your "wow man, the world is just so damn rosey" fashion victimised glasses off.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Re: patronise all you want

Dude, you need to lighten up!!! Are you advocating that people shouldn't get together and have a good time. That everyone should stay at home so as to avoid soiling the streets? Summer means outdoor festivals. They make messes, as with any group of people there will be some bad guys hanging around doing bad things. It sounds like you are in serious need of some of those rose tinted glasses or else a toke of some Humboldt Red.

11. amnesiac1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Re: patronise all you want

WTF? :mad:

You don't know me at all, so because I like glastonbury you think I'm a fashion victim? What does that make you?:rolleyes:

As for Rose tinted glasses, you can go ****************, I happen to think this world is more ****ed up than its been for a long time, does that mean I should not support a festival that offers huge promotion to causes such as oxfams "make trade fair" campaign.

Add some ****ing soul into your life.
    I would gladly clear the mess up myself if it meant I could have seen Radiohead's performance of Street Spirit in person! :D

12. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: patronise all you want

there are few messes indeed i wouldn't clean up for that ;)

13. amnesiac1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Re: patronise all you want

Yeah I didn't mean the toilets, they'll be picked up by the porta-loo contractors. Thank god!

14. iGav macrumors G3

shame the bbc doesn't employ the same kind of interactive tv as they use for wimbledon, i.e. you can select a stage that you want to view... and avoid the commentary... Jo Whiley and John Peel are cool, but that pair on bbc 3, well he's a no-talent-hack...! and she's got well dodge hair... heh-heh!

radiohead were on solid form last night, and they're so different from when I saw them live in 93... alot tighter, definitely going for a bit of a prog-rock one!!

as for r.e.m., love em'... missed brixton because of work commitments but fingers crossed they're supposed to be doing a proper tour next year so hopefully catch them then!

stipey seemed to be struggling on the high notes alittle, and went to pot on everybody hurts, he also seemed to spend alot of time without his ear monitors in. and mills bv's were sometimes alittle high in the mix... but apart from that they're were on top form especially good to see buck rocking again!

Hey kettle, you need to chill alittle fella... ;)

let's direct the animosity at that no-talent-hack on bbc 3, he's far more worthy of it!!

moby today! wicked!! :p

15. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Stipe tore the arse out of Everybody Hurts @ Brixton on Tuesday, sang it like it was the last thing he was ever going to do, the room was electric.

I think a lot of acts are having monitor probs on the main stage, although Supergrass were the nads, and radiohead sounded excellent.

Im with you on the BBC3 presenters, they suck big time, old Peely makes them look like twats...

I love Phil Jupitus impression of him:D

16. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I was right pissed - I was due to film this year's event at 'Glasto (after covering last year's, I caught the "bug").

However, the Bristol-based crew did it instead (the fact that I'd broken my foot didn't help my cause...).

Boo-fuggin'-hoo.

The lineup was not as good as last year's - Supergrass, David Grey, Royksopp, REM and Radiohead were great, though, and Feeder would've been good to see...

Last year, I got to see Faithless, the Charlatans, Queens of the Stone Age, No Doubt, The Stereophonics, Bush, and Rolf Harris (yes!), and I chose to see Garbage over Coldplay (as they were playing at the same time... duh!) - I thought I made the right choice in the end (Shirley Manson's much better looking than Chris Martin - and Garbage kicked ass...).

In reaction to Kettle's comments - I actually agree with some of his points. Whereas I'm into the "music against war/pollution/crime/oppression" motif, I find it ironic that the place looks like a bombsite when everything finishes. The organiser said last year at a press conference that it takes a good 6 months to finish the cleanup. Yoikes!

So amongst all the anti-Esso rantings, and "down with capitalism" chants, perhaps some of those should lead by example and take their litter, and not the piss.

Just my 2p.

;)

17. iGav macrumors G3

I think stipey just has an ongoing prob with singing the 'high' songs, if they play them too often, it was a similar thing when they played London in 2001, and 99 they dropped it from the set because of his voice... that said, he more than made up for it with 'finest worksong'... :D and the rumors are that the new material is more 'document era'... bring it all on!! ;) :) :D

I definitely think something was amiss with the stage monitor system, alot of the artists seem to drop the ear piece and go commando, although risky, the result is often more raw, and I kinda like that!!

Peel rules... he's been at the cutting edge of alternative music since year dot... :D I like whiley too, she's got a genuine enthusiam for the music, unlike that dil' on beeb3 who is rapidly making me want to take a heli to glastonbury and lamp his sorry ass straight back into the no-talent-stone-age!! heh!

I still think it's a huge shame that the beeb hasn't enabled the multi-choice option to allow people to watch whatever stage they want.... if it works for the wombles at wimbledon, then glastonbury should also have received the works!! ;)

18. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Its a logistics problem, a damn sight easier to do multi-media from an air-conditioned media centre is SW London than from the back of a Transit in a field:D

Let me know if youre going to give arse-face a kicking, I want a piece of that;)

19. iGav macrumors G3

I'm fuelling my heli as we speak!! heh-heh!! you get the 'flour' bombs ready! let's antique his ass!! heh!

as for the interactive tv, judging by the lux of the on-site beeb studios, I reckon they could have nailed a couple more feeds, they're doing okay with beeb 2 and beeb 3 feeds, and have camera's at all stages, with alittle more investment they could have provided better coverage!! maybe have thrown the beeb 3 dude off glastonbury tor to help with the multi-screen-choice-feed-fund!! heh-heh!

aslo maybe the beeb should've hired the wombles to help out with the post festival tidy-up!! they're very good at that!! help calm the locals alittle!! ;) :D :p

20. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I think the studios are a bit more spartan behind the cameras, I was with the audio OB truck for a day last year, bloody nightmare it was, I wouldnt want to have to multiply that slice of hell just so some herbert with an overactive thumb can see 30secs of everyone on rotation:D :p

21. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

22. amnesiac1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Your a bit late, its cooled down a bit now.

:D

23. iGav macrumors G3

tis very true.... ;)

but he's still on beeb 3, i think beeb 3 needs some kind of big brother voting system... ;) :D

mr beeb 3, you suck, please leave the glastonbury festival site... ;) :D

i thought moby was v.cool... he rocks... and covering 'creep' that takes a brave, brave man! especially in pro-radio-land!!

scratch perverts however?? hmmmm.... playing people tunes, at 1.5x speed, and M C'in over it.... hmmmmm.... talent?? hmmmm...

I reckon glasto has been abit of a success this year.... unless you live near it by the sounds of it.... :p :( depending on which!!!

fav being....

r.e.m.
    moby
    radiohead
    and there's some more, but it's very late and i need some Zzzzzzzzzz's!

rockin' ;)

24. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Just wanting to let you lot across the pond know someone's got their eye on you. ;)

25. amnesiac1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bet you used your intelligence satellites to watch glastonbury for free, ya cheapskates :p