Global AirPort

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by hotch, Jan 6, 2002.

1. hotch macrumors newbie

I am convinced that Apple will release a satellite based airport system tomorrow. All the hints point to it. Just imagine what it would do for Apple's market share... Everyone would buy a Mac if it

a) gave them broadband without having to go through the phone co. or the tv co., and

b) let them access the internet anywhere...

Now this is truly a revolutionary development that would shape the future of technology.

2. fuzzhack macrumors newbie

that would be nice

that would be an amazing service to provide. And I do believe it would increase thier purchases by 2 fold, but is it technologically possible? Not yet. to recieve satellite you have to have a dish, and to be able to put all that technology in a pcmia card.. not yet. But hopefully soon.

Good idea
    -patrick

3. skywalker Guest

Could be possible

Actually, GPS receivers don't require a dish, so it could be very possible to create something like that. Will Apple do it? No, I doubt it. Would it be awesome? YES! Keep on dreaming for the nearly impossible!

4. hotch thread starter macrumors newbie

5. tubescan7777 macrumors newbie

This Makes Sence

Apple had These Quotes

To Boldly go where no PC has gone before. -
    Space

Full Speed Ahead, Lust Factor 10. -
    Well think what this would do to the industry and who wound't want one?

Starwars Quotes. -
    There were polenty of Starwars quotes which takes place in outer space

and this would just be sweet

Tubescan

p.s. i cnat remember all the quotes but i know other ones fiut this patern also

6. rekras macrumors regular

apple simply doesnt have the sort of finacial resources to pull something off like that

7. hotch thread starter macrumors newbie

but i doubt there is an investor in the world who wouldnt want a piece of this...

8. Moby 1 Guest

This is my favorite rumor yet!

I cried like a baby when Metricom went down...

Having a Ricochet PCMCIA modem (high speed in my area) in my PowerBook was THE coolest computing experience!

Moby 1

9. DaveGee macrumors 6502a

Re: This is my favorite rumor yet!

Oh my gosh, tell me about it... While I didn't have it yet in my area I'd go to the map every few days to see how close they were to turning my area on... And then BAM they died... =(

I'm stuck here just 30 miles from NYC and the best I can get is ISDN from HELL TITANIC... The cost, oh you'd love this... For 70 HOURS of use per month (not always on) it ONLY runs me $150 per month... DSL is too far (40k feet) and cable-inet service has been 'on its way' for two plus years now.

I've even considered selling my home just to get to an area where I can have something better... The wife isn't exactly HIP to the idea... =(

Dave

10. nahaliel Guest

the new XM car radio thing works with a satellite without a dish.. hmm how sweet it would be if apple pulled off such a wet dream... it would make sense out of the star TREK quotes.

11. hotch thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Re: This is my favorite rumor yet!

You're not the only one... I'm 15k feet past the DSL cutoff, and, if Apple doesn't release sat. internet tomorrow I'm going to have to get Starband or DirectPC

12. Macwizzard macrumors member

Space Airport.

Apple did send s satelite into space that had a condensed G4 system and it was the first ISP in space. They planned to cover the world giving all people everywhere the ability to use the internet.

SEE:http://www.apple.com/scitech/stories/skycorp/
    It has the whole story.

13. nahaliel Guest

wow... right on apple's website... SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am also one of the poor neglected broandbandless souls out there, infact im going to my sister's house tomorrow morning to watch the keynote on her cable modem. Oooh how much piss will be in bill gate's pants when this thing is turned on....

14. nahaliel Guest

one observation about this site: its out of date, says america online is non airport compatible.. meaningless, but none the less an observation.

15. theranch macrumors 6502

convincing

That idea convinces me...especially after reading that story while keeping the recent quotes of Apple in mind.
    Very interesting...

16. mac fanatic macrumors newbie

Skycorp

Some people need to read their info better.

1. Apple are not tuuring it on tomorrow, the first satellite hasn't even paseed the testing phase.

2. And yes Apple do not have the money to put the satellite's in space, but if you read the article it says that skycorp is doing this in conjunction with Apple. Apple are modifying their hardware to suit the sattelites.

Even though I will be loooking forward to whatever they have to say.

17. hotch thread starter macrumors newbie

This was the launching of the first satellite...

Looking at skycorp's website: http://skycorpinc.com/ -- it looks promising. They ran beta testing in November and haven't said anything since then (what could the reason for this be? perhaps apple told them to stay quiet? why else would such an innovative company stay quiet?)

18. nahaliel Guest

wow... right on apple's website... SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am also one of the poor neglected broandbandless souls out there, infact im going to my sister's house tomorrow morning to watch the keynote on her cable modem. Oooh how much piss will be in bill gate's pants when this thing is turned on....

19. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

To everyone who's saying this is not possible, think about what Apple did with the price of super drives.

I know that just because they did that doesn't mean they're going to be able to do this, but it does show you that Apple is capable of some very amazing things.

20. nahaliel Guest

a double post with a 10min space between.. how very odd

21. hotch thread starter macrumors newbie

I was wondering about that....

22. j763 macrumors 6502a

This is great - but I don't know about a demo at MWSF unless the test has been a success and they've secretly released many more (which I think is a bit hard to do secretly). Maybe they'll just have it set up to work on Steve's computer in the Moscone center for a demo :)

I'm another poor soul who hasn't got broadband... The only service avaliable costs so freakin much... Damn u telstra (national telco)

23. nahaliel Guest

according to apple though, it wont be available everywhere.. not at first. I wonder how they block certain areas? if it works everywhere for those who subscribe (and you can only subscribe if you live in a rural area) or they some physically lockout urban areas.. oh how sweet this thing sounds.

24. hotch thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, satellites will be in low level orbit, so only certain areas will have it at first. The article states that there will be a total of 544 satellites-- obviously, not all of these are up already. They will add satellites over rural areas before they put them over urban centers. Heres to hoping they'll put them over my rural area!

I'm assuming that these will be in geostationary orbit...

[Edited by hotch on 01-06-2002 at 06:26 PM]

25. Timothy macrumors 6502

This could be something...

I think this could be something worth paying attention to...It is doubtful that Job's will unveil some global wireless system tomorrow, but perhaps they have either partnered with this company, or purchased them, and will be developing a satelite-based wireless system for their new...NEWTON!

This, of course, will not be available until sometime in 2004 at the earliest....