GLOBAL MAC ADS???

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by manosira, Oct 12, 2004.

1. manosira macrumors member

manosira

I'm trying to do some class research on apple/mac ads outside the US, but I can't find any. Can anyone outside the U.S. tell me about some apple/mac ads they have seen in their countries lately? It can be for apple in gerneral or any mac products. Even better if you can provide me a link to them.

Thanks!
    -Mano

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

In the UK, most of the Apple advertising spend goes on billboards, bus shelter posters and posters on the London Underground (tube).

There's one billboard near my work that seems to be an Apple favorite...

The only spots you see on national TV are for the iPod and they are exactly the same as the US ones.

I have never seen an Apple ad on TV here.

Adobe Acrobat:yes, but no Macs...

:(

3. kjwebb macrumors regular

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

5. manosira thread starter macrumors member

manosira

Ohh I didn't know Apple did the train wrappings.. but that looks like the old imac model. Still good video though. So pretty much the Apple TV ads are the same, how about all the print ads, billboards/posters/ & magazine? Are they the same as the U.S. or geared towards the individual countries?

6. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

What about all them G5 ads on channel 4 ,the one that got banned in the UK for the "Fastest Personal Computer in the world" - although it was true mind. then there are loads on MTV sat channel i know but it is a UK channel and then there are the iPod 30 Sec's ads on channel 4 as well i remember seeing the walkie talkie ipod spot about 3 weeks ago

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yes. iPod ads plenty as I said in my post.

But G5s, I never saw those... they must have been pulled pretty quickly.

Guess I'm watching the wrong shows.

8. belair macrumors 6502

belair

kinda of invisible

I watch french and german television and on neither of them shows a lot of apple advertising. I think I saw the G5 ad once on German television but I am not shure if it was on a special show that shows only ads.
    The new imac ad, (of the now old imac) was also up just before christmas and I think that was on german television.
    Then there was the wildposting ipod ad that ran on french TV and that was also declined in print ads and also on bus stops. Very exposed and very visible for once.
    I really like it when an apple ad comes up tough. Thats when I start smiling and everybody looks at my, like how pathetic can you be… But hey the ads are good they should only run them more often. 5% of the computer market does not justify huge campaigns.

a little off topic, I think the IBM ads are really good as well, 100% brand recognition due to the blue stripes and always funny, yet very informative. The lifestyle ads from apple are good but they forget that most people are afraid of computers and they want to get a simple explanation for what it can do and what it can not do. should apple adapt there ads to the general public. What do you think?

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

Saying that though i think they should run a iMac G5 ad on TV in UK it would just be a sell out soon as people see it .

going back i think you may have been right the PowerMac G5 ad was only show about 6 times in the UK , if i remember rightly during Big Brother on a friday nights at around 10-10.30 slots.

Call me sad why i remember that :eek:

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Don't know why...

...but I expect to see a billboard campaign leading up to Christmas.

The iPod/mini is going to be a huge seller over the next 8 weeks.

11. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i bought my iPod at the paris expo and loved it , but soon came to understand i needed more space to store all my music so i sold it on ebay and have just bought a 20gb 3rd gen ipod . But totally agree with you ipod ads backed up with tv and press 1 i mean argos are selling these now for gods sake lol .

12. manosira thread starter macrumors member

manosira

I suspect will be seeing lots more Ipod/Itunes ads before the holiday season ends. I wonder when they are going to stop with the color theme, and do something new? There latest ad is with U2 and Vertigo, which is kind of cool, but still uses the same old ipod/itunes theme.

13. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

I've never seen anything like that here in Arizona, actually I've never seen an Apple ad outside the TV in Arizona, when I went to LA the minute I get out of the airport I see an Apple iPod ad... I should have taken a picture.

14. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

I'm pretty sure that, like Gap, all countried get the US ones, but in their own language. Jeff Golblum does the computers (like the 'fastest' G5 - banned in the UK)

15. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

It's been a long time since Apple featured a TV ad in Germany. But this is over now. Since some days ago the U2 iPod spot is featured on several channels at prime time. I was quite surprised when I saw it the first time.

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i have seen a half ipod ad once when switching through the channels on the french fashion TV
    except that i haven't seen any apple ads on tv (i haven't noticed any ads in german TV but i get austrian advertisments on it thanks to cable)

one local internet provider is having a promotion with ipod minis at the moment..they give away 60 ipod minis from 1.11 to 31.12 one per day... the tv spot is running on heavy rotation ... and you can bet on it that i subscribed and sit at home waiting for an email from them ;)
    (i know exactly that _if_ i win one it will be the pink one :rolleyes: )

17. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Here in the UK the ad for the U2 version of the iPod ad is getting quite a bit of airplay on Channel 4. We also had the PowerBook ads, the ones with Mini Me on the plane with the basketball player (whose name shamefully escapes me). As others have said, we do seem to get the same ads here as are shown in the States.

I did see a lot of iPod advertising in Amsterdam when I was there last year – they had a couple of trams totally covered in graphics.

Of course, you could also take a look at Apple's international websites – I'm sure you'll be able to find a lot of information and pictures on those.

18. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

1-0 to Germany, then. (hmmm..... sounds familiar?? :D )

Maybe, just maybe, I missed the ad... but Holland really very rarely has any Mac/Apple realted ads on TV.