Global warming puts 12 US parks at risk: report

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 25, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

reuters

maybe it's time for bush to try the snowmobile plan again. that should fix it.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The whole Global Warming debate would be much easier to decide if we had records going back more then 100 years, We don't know what the past cycles were to say if its global warming or just a natural cycle.

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

sigh.

we're a clever bunch, actually. this issue has been approached from a thousand different angles, and the conclusions are always the same:
    1. the earth is heating up in a cataclysmic manner
    2. mankind is causing it

accept it. accept the science. this debate is so ****ing over, it's not even funny. it's only the spin that's left. no reputable scientist or climatologist disagrees with the conclusions, it's only the nutters.

speaking of which...

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And for those who "can't be sure, since records don't go back far enough", it seems they would all rather err on the side of throwing caution to the wind for the benefit of the business community, rather than erring on the side of caution...

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Is there global warming, yes, but is there also a natural cycle, Im sure that plays a role in it somehow.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

well, you're surely wrong. for the moment, i'll assume you're simply ignorant on the matter, so go do some research. or take a shortcut and see gore's film, if you can get past any pre-conceived notions you may have.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Do you thing that humans are accelerating or perhaps pushing the natural cycle farther than it would naturally go?

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Another person with little knowledge but big opinions.

Temperature Record

Instrumental Temperature Record

Temperature Record of the Last 1,000 Years

The graph at the top of the page for the last link is especially relevant. There's a clear correlation between different estimates of pre-instrumental temperatures and the last 156 years of instrumentally measured temperatures.

We also know very well that mankind has the ability to radically change the climate within a specific area. Phoenix, Arizona used to have very low humidity during the summer, now it's almost as bad as New Orleans due to all the golf courses, lawns and swimming pools. It doesn't take much to imagine that if we can have such a radically negative impact on a local area then we will also have a corresponding impact on the entire globe.

A current debate in New Zealand centers around methane gas emitted by cattle and sheep. In 1802, there were roughly 1.2 billion people on this planet, multiply the number of human gas emissions (farts) by 6 and you have a significant increase in greenhouse emissions. Much less the massive increase in cattle in the same period.

It's real, it's here and wherever you live, expect to be negatively impacted by it. Putting your head in the sand won't make it go away.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

There are records. There is already evidence. There is no more debate. Even if there were, best to err on the side of the environment. If they're wrong, the Earth is cleaner. Or at least, less dirty. If right, we help to reverse the effects before it's too late. If nothing else, we start making it better or at least stop making it worse.

I'm not going to go all doomsdaying, but once again I'm suffering through the hottest summer ever and wondering if maybe those scientist guys are on to something.

10. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

It is true, here in Phoenix we have been having a record breaking summer. Our last record breaking summer was the last one. Then the one before that was the summer before. It's been getting hotter here, WAY WAY hotter. It's in the 90's at 5-6 in the morning. It's literally too hot to breath the air in my car if it's been sitting out in the sun all day.

11. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Here in new england for the most part it has been a colder summer for what i can tell. At least where i live

More storms however, but colder.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You sound just like George Bush and I cant recall him ever being right on anything. Ignoring the billions of tons of pollution we are pooring into our atmosphere is your choice and his. Man is affecting his atmosphere, the Ozone layer & Freon is just 1 example. Fact is glaciers are melting down and we are warming up.

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

the headline says it all

global warming puts _______ at risk

of course global warming puts things at risk

well, it would, if it existed.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

There's very little scientific disagreement over this question anymore. The only question is how much human activity has altered the observed cycles.

But I'm sure you knew that. ;)

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

We do. We have very clear evidence. We need to act.

Sure, it makes sense to take a natural cycle far beyond it's typical envelop and worry about it's "nature."

It makes just as much sense to arm sharks with laser beams on their heads and then point out that they only kill so many people because they're naturally homicidal. :D

16. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Kind of like the hurricane thing. Some say global warming is causing it, but then again it's hard to pin point the actual cause. Especially when scientists say we are in a time of increased activity. Why coulen't the same be said about warmer temperatures?

Someone pointed out that we do have records dating back thousands of years. We do. It's all in the polar ice caps. Though I thought those messure carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere. Not temperature. Seconly they are all based on many assumptions, not fact. It's stated in your little Wikipedia article.

Wheter or not global warming is true, mankind still needs to stop polluting like we do now. We can look at the current effects its having. Especially in China where the air quality is so poor and cancer rates are through the roof. Rivers are unusable all around the world. Fresh water is getting harder to come by. So its up to the individual to fix this. Stop getting your electricity from the coal burning power company, switch to a provider that supplies only with wind. (Though in some areas, you don't have a choice. But here in Texas we do :) So I get windpower!) Just an example.

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Though you aren't limited with wind power. There are many many other alternatives. I was just giving you an example. Not the only alternative.

18. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

no, it's not: the cause is increased ocean temperatures.

again, the scientific debate is as over as the flat-earth debate. there is no question that human activity is causing increased global temperatures, and those temperatures are upsetting established weather patterns. any confusion in the media and populace is the result of a successful disinformation campaign.

the only thing up for scientific debate is whether or not we've passed the point of no return.

19. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Damn the media and their agenda. I could have sworn they were liberal *******s out to plague the people against their leaders. Not some Neocon funded freaks who want to kill the earth and all their inhabitants. /end sarcasm

20. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i know you're being sarcastic, but there was one paragraph that i left out of the initial post (it's where the [...] is):
    we're all familiar with the greenhouse effect, so i left it out. but note how the "balanced" journalists feel they must present that other side -- the media is so timid with these matters, this reporter couldn't be bothered to mention that the naysayer side is really without merit.

i'll bring up the flat-earthers again: "the space shuttle will orbit the earth just 9 more times before it re-enters the earth's atmosphere. the flat earth society says this is impossible and the space shuttle program is a hoax."

now there's some ridiculous "balance".

21. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

It wouldn't suprise me if humans are truely destroying the environment via global warming. We destroy each other, we kill off animal species, we dump toxic waste in rivers and streams making then unusable. We release poisonous gas into the air for everyone to breathe. We are polluting this planet. I don't doubt that.

I do agree that we must do something. Regardless if global warming is true or not. I will keep my skepticism, but I won't be close minded.