Glossy Or Matte?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lexus, Jan 16, 2007.

?

Glossy Or Matte

1. Glossy

43.3%
  2. Matte

56.7%
  1. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

I am ordering a 17 MBP and I need to know whether to get Glossy or Matte.

Please Vote.

Thanks

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I couldn't decide either, but when I saw pictures of the glossy MBPs, I just fell in love.

It helps, too, if you have an external monitor for those times when you need better color accuracy.

3. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Don't see a reason not to go glossy when you've the option to.

4. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

Glossy all the way ... the colors are sharp and clean, just as I like.

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

It's a very personal preference. Glossy increases reflections but also gives darker blacks. I personally prefer glossy and think that once you've made the switch you never go back, but for graphic design it may well be easier on the eyes to not have to fight with reflections.

6. ImaMac79 macrumors newbie

ImaMac79

I'm having the same decision issues

I am in the market for a 15.4" Macbook Pro C2D and can't decide between the glossy or the matte. I haven't actually seen either one in person so I really don't know. I like the look of the glossy, but again the increased reflection is always a concern.

7. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

As has already been stated this is a very personal judgement. I opted for matte as it just looked right for me. This choice has been vindicated through use.

8. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

This has been beaten to a pulp in the MacBook Forums. The simple answer is that if you are a professional graphics person, who needs the color accuracy, and have no access to an external display, then you really need to go with the matte. The glossy basically saturates the colors, making them more vibrant and ... I guess you get more of that "POP" from your screen. I went with the 15" glossy despite the fact that I do some color- specific editing b/c I have a 24" monitor I can calibrate to my heart's desire. To be honest I like the glossy for general use, and I think the look of it is nicer than my large display.

9. Camui macrumors member

I also agree that this is definitely a personal preference. With that being said, personally, I would go matte. The glare and reflections of glossy are too much for me to handle.

10. Apple2Mac macrumors regular

Apple2Mac

I owned a 15 PowerBook G4 previously to getting my 17 glossy. I have to say I love the glossy, it great for viewing pictures and movies. it does have a bit more glare but its a small compromise...

11. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

I had a glossy Macbook and now a matte Macbook Pro. I prefer the matte, by a longshot. I don't notice the black being much lighter on the matte and I there is definitely a big reduction in glare.

12. neyoung macrumors member

The best thing to do is go into your local apple store and check the two out. If you don't have one near you maybe you know someone with a glossy/matte that you can look at. It all comes down to personal opinion. I prefer the glossy, but others like the matte. Its a toss up.