glossy screen home remedy cleaning

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by b0tt094, Jan 29, 2007.

1. b0tt094 macrumors 6502

b0tt094

I have a glossy mac book, I'm wondering if there is a home remedy for cleaning the screen, I kno some stuff can damage it and i don't want to put out 20 bucks for a cleaning kit (high school, no job:cool:)

so anyone got some good ones with stuf around the house

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i just fog up the screen by breathing on it and use a microfibre cloth the clean stuff off. Works perfectly for me :)

3. b0tt094 thread starter macrumors 6502

b0tt094

Wow that was fast, thanks Ill try it out

edit: worked perfect thanks scarlet

4. vanzskater272 macrumors regular

Yeah thats what I do also but it dosent work on my matte screen. Any one have a idea for my matte screen. I was thinking water but that seems dangerous.

5. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I was too afraid something I'd use from around the house would totally bugger up my screen, so I bought some iKlear from my local Apple store. This stuff works great.

6. vanzskater272 macrumors regular

I guess I should just buy it. I have seen it before but it seemed too expensive. About how long does a bottle of it last?

7. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I ended up buying an 8oz bottle ($29) because I have three screens to keep clean. This size came with a large chamois, a small chamois, 12 travel wipes and a keyboard cloth to keep the keyboard from marking up the screen when it is closed. (used to be a real problem on the powerbooks). Now that I've used it some I'm guessing this 8oz bottle is going to last me forever. There is a smaller 2oz bottle you can get as well and you can find both cheaper online.

http://klearscreen.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=9

8. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

Actually, Apple recommends turning display (or laptop) off, and using plain
    water to dampen a micro-fiber cloth to clean. This has worked well for me.
    You might have to add a wee bit of water on the cloth for stubborn deposits,
    but just keep using a gentle circular motion until deposits are gone. Then go
    over the screen with the dry part of the micro-fiber cloth and it will be immaculate!

9. redmeister macrumors 6502

i agree with lil bit of water (careful not to use too much) and then microfiber cloth is a must.... always worked for me on all my laptops and on the macbook too

10. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

I've used rubbing alcohol on a soft (microfiber) cloth on laptops before. The alcohol doesn't affect plastic/glass and is decent at dissolving grease from fingerprints/etc. with minimal rubbing.

With the regular 70% rubbing alcohol, you need to follow-up with a dry cloth as the liquid will leave a small amount of water which will streak, but it's no big deal.

Most of the screen cleaning pads you can buy are just scented rubbing alcohol on a pre-moistened optical paper cloth.

Mike