Glossy vs. matte: is there actually a difference in brightness?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by somevelvet, Nov 9, 2006.

1. somevelvet macrumors member

Okay I know the subject has been discussed to death around here (although look how useless my search results are), but one thing I've never seen addressed is whether the glossy screen is actually physically brighter than the matte--ie does it actually pump out more light?--or whether it just appears brighter 'cuz it's all shiny and stuff. Anyone got any idea? Thanks!

2. wako macrumors 65816

the two wont have any effect on the brightness

the colors just will look duller on a matte screen compared to a glossy screen

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Glossy screens appear brighter, but it's probably because it doesn't have any anti-reflective coating on it, which isn't 100% transparent. In fact, the glossy screens are cheaper. They tell you it's for your benefit, but it's really for their own. :eek:

I like my glossy screen and don't have many complaints about it, but I'd rather have a slightly brighter screen and a matte finish. That way, I'd get the same screen brightness and the matte finish. Colours would still be less saturated, though (I think).

4. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

My MB's screen looks brighter than the ACD's:cool: ;) Even though the specs say otherwise.