Glossy vs. Matte

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by w8ing4intelmacs, Feb 2, 2007.

1. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

I just bought a MBP glossy, and it's pretty and all, but it doesn't seem that different to me in regards to being "vibrant" and "colorful". It does show a noticeable amount of glare.

Next purchase will be matte. Definitely.

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

did you see them both in-store?

my parents have the MBP Matte and i have the MB Glossy, and i love the glossy now. It shows a bit of reflection, but to enough to be distracting.I guess it's all personal...

3. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

i completely agree. next time, you should take a look at what your buying before you buy it.

still, i'm sure you'll love the new comp!

4. w8ing4intelmacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol. i live over 200 miles from the nearest apple store.

i don't mind it really, but i think, given the choice, i'd prefer matte, if only slightly.

curiously, it appears that glossy macbook pros go for more on ebay than matte ones.

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i'm attracted to shiny things, so i like the glossy. :) really, though, i love the colors of the glossy, inaccurate as they may be.

6. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

I have a mbp matte, when I see the mbp glossy, I do find it a bit slightly brighter, and the glare (at least from an off angle) doesn't seem that bad... maybe I just wish the matte can be brighter?

7. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

I rather like the glossy screen (on my MB at least) and I use my computer all day long at work in my lab's horrible fluorescent light without much glare problems. Though, I do like the matte screen as well, just wish it was brighter as well.

8. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

With the MB, do you find that the colors are a bit faded as compared to the mbp glossy? But I would imagine as time goes by, screens will get brighter, I had my mbp today next to a apple cinema display, i would feel back if I paid that much money to have such a dim screen.

9. MacAnkka macrumors regular

I haven't used the MBP Glossy, but the color profile that came as standard on my MacBook was awful. The colors were washed out and it was way too bright. A fast calibration made the screen look a LOT better.

Still, if I could have the chance I'd prefer to have a matte screen on my MacBook.

10. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

How did you do the calibration? Did you use the built in set-up or did you use an external calibrater

11. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

matte is where it's at

another vote for matte here. build/sell computers and LOVE the glossy screens for the 'wow' factor and driving sales, but you couldn't make me use one at gunpoint.

i hate the glare/reflection, so much that i FIXED my macbook. not easy, but worth it (to me anyway).

12. MacNtoss macrumors member

I kinda prefer Matte over Glossy...im easily distracted :rolleyes:

13. oceanmonster macrumors regular

Glossy all the way. It is easier to read text on a glossy screen. The only problem is that it shows glare but it just means that you have to adjust the screen angle.

14. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

My sig says it all :)

15. MacAnkka macrumors regular

Just the built-in setup. It might not give a 100% accurate image, but even a quick calibration provides a lot better image than the default color profile.

16. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

17. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I just came across a new LCD panel for my laptop but it happened to be glossy which I was not real excited about. However, it was 1680x1050 compared to the 1440x900 display I was using so I decided to swap them out. At first I really wanted to change back despite the higher resolution but I gave it a chance and I am glad I did. As far as the glare issue goes, I think of it like looking through a screen door. If you look past the screen, you won't see it. But if you look for it, you can't see anything past it. When you stop thinking about the glare, its like its not even there.

18. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

I prefer glossy by a long shot. Yeah the glare can be a bitch, but the vibrant colour reproduction on the glossy screens seals the deal for me.

19. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Oh god no not another Glossy v. Matte discussion

Search for crying out loudd!! Lock this!