Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
I was originally going to get matte, but I wound up getting glossy, and I have no regrets. the reflections are overrated... I am near a window and there is almost no reflection... the screen is so vibrant, and I dont see how I could have gotten matte in retrospect

mortey

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2005
so cal
I just got my macbook pro. I had a dell 9300 before this with a glossy display and I really enjoyed it. I opted for the glossy on this display because I am familiar with it and when I got it I have absolutely no problems. The only thing I have a problem with is fingerprints. Sometimes when there is a hair on my screen (lots of dogs), i reach for it and leave a print. Any good ideas how to clean those off?

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2005
wait...so if i wanted to buy a mbp with a glossy screen, i couldnt go to the apple store and buy one? what if i went to a flagship store, specifically the downtown Chicago store.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
I'd go with matte. Apple even advertises their screens on the MBP as choosing between "glossy" and "antiglare" (this was on the info display in the store). Hmm.

I've only used the glossy in-store, and it's alright. One of the better glossy screens out there. I can't say much else about it, since using a computer while standing up is hardly how you'll be using it in real life.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
I'll admit, the glossy isn't as bad as all that in person. That being said, I still greatly prefer a matte screen. The glossy has a cheaper look to it, IMO (something that I noticed overall with the new macbook).

Collin973

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2006
I used to think "matte", but if the glossy screens are anything like the new glossy screens on the vaios, then i'm going with GLOSSY!

WOW it really looks amazing

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Great Taste - Less Filling

As a designer I personally can't stand the glossy screens while working. We have 2 MB Pros w/glossy screens in my office and I still prefer to use my PB 17 1.33 with the matte screen. As dpaanlka said - many people use multiple screens and when the MB Pros are on my desk at an angle the glare off my AC display is awful. The glossy is amazing for watching DVDs but horrible for color accurate design.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I was definitely anti glossy after seeing the screen on a friends VAIO. It was a big sticking point in my decision to by a MacBook but I really like the screen now, no complaints at all.

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
i dont notice any difference except glossy screens reflect light sources and unless you have a light source coming out of your eyes, you wont see any glare.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
rob5 said:
Glossy all the way! Saw them in person and the difference is outstanding. I'd never go back to matte.

agreed. They're nothing like the PC laptop screens that are so reflective. The macbook and macbook pro glossy screens are just awesome.

Locatel

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2006
Glossy Cinema displays

When will Cinema displays start coming with that glossy finish? Can you imagine a 30" glossy? If it is really better or cheaper to produce...
It really depends on your use, glossy may look good, but for accurate work, definetely matte.

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
Matte

I started out LOVING the glossy screens. The colors are so rich & beautiful! I just ignored the glare and soaked in the colors. Having spent some time on both a glossy Macbook & a matte MBP, I have decided that I prefer matte. Having a consistent (more consistent) screen is more important to me. The "accurate coloring" and easier to maintenance arguments don't mean much to me. I'm tired of trying see around glare and the "white spots" that show up on the glossy (usually a light somewhere behind me). Just a personal preference.

Still, the saturated colors are gorgeous! I'd just rather have consistency. Spend some time with the glossy screen before falling in love with her. It might take some time to see past her beauty and see her shortcomings.

Or just lust and love her and just ignore her "glaring" issues. I think she's beautiful...

:D

PaulinMaryland

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
Maryland, USA
Captase antiglare film lets me try both ways

For my daughter's MacBook, I've ordered a antiglare Capdase screen protector from Vinko's Treasures. At this writing, for the MacBook (13 inch) Vinko's sells only the clear version ("TAKU™ (the new version) is a material that provides crystal clear vision while preserving 99% of the original LCD tones"). However, he has listed the antiglare version for MacBook Pro. I asked him about this, and at my request, he sent me the antiglare version for MacBook.

I figure my daughter can try out her MacBook with and without the Capdase film. If she prefers it without, I'll order her a Captase TAKU (ultra clear) and ask her to sell the antiglare film to a fellow student.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
The matte on my MBP is fantastic. It relfects far less than my dad's Dell (matte) and my mum's toshiba (glossy)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.