GM bashes apple

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by thejazzman10, Jun 15, 2004.

1. thejazzman10 Guest

From a firestorm article:

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon".

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics (and I just love this part):

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and! reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10.You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.

Please share this with your friends who love - but sometimes hate - their computer!

ZING!
    :D

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

3. thejazzman10 thread starter Guest

WHOOPS!! :eek: much thanks for noticing!!

4. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

This is SOOOOO old.

I probably saw this 5 years ago.

5. thejazzman10 thread starter Guest

whoops...wrong thread title.....5 years old................to the wasteland......AWAY! :D

6. Oirectine macrumors regular

Oirectine

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, so did I. Nice find. Not really "Current Events", but nice nonetheless. :)

8. sonyrules macrumors regular

I think that is pretty funny, and probley true...

9. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

Did this actually happen or is this just another internet funny ha ha hoax?

10. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I have serious doubts that it is real. But very funny.

11. raynegus macrumors regular

Funny! Except Macintosh is a type of computer, not a company. They should have said "Apple would make a car..."

Shows how little they know.

But the "five percent of roads" line is pretty funny.

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Gates might have said that, but GM would never have been original enough to come up with that reply. :)

And, yeah, it's a VERY old joke. I'm thinking 7 years or more old.

13. MacManDan macrumors 6502

Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but this is fake. it's been going around the internet a long time.

http://www.snopes.com/humor/jokes/autos.htm

And that's not the only one. Just google around a little bit and you'll quickly find this is well-established as fake. It's too bad the industry isn't really this witty :) A funny story, nonetheless..

14. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Doesn't the Mercedes have some of these issues?? My understanding is they run Windows CE, and were having problems with the processors freezing up :confused:

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mercedes and BMW are both having trouble with their in-car computers that adjust interior features (iDrive, etc). I'm not sure how much of it is MS's fault tho. Most of the problems are in the HMI area -- these things are just too difficult to use and concentrate on driving. :(