GM Confirms Siri 'Eyes Free' Integration Coming to New Models Within 12 Months

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 20, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

General Motors will be one of the first automakers to support Apple's Eyes Free feature in iOS 6, according to a report by GMAuthority. Eyes Free will put a dedicated Siri button on the steering wheel, allowing users to control their iPhones without moving their hands.
    Article Link: GM Confirms Siri 'Eyes Free' Integration Coming to New Models Within 12 Months

2. macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

3. macrumors newbie

4. macrumors 603

bedifferent

I can see it now:

"Siri, I need driving directions for home"

"Sorry, I can't help you now"

"Ahhh, go to ****!"

"OK!"

[car dives into ground]

Could be a good Twilight Zone epi ;)

5. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

So cool. My next car will definitely have this.

6. macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Girlfriend is waiting for the 2013 MINI Countryman this fall while I'll be upgrading the Beemer next year. Hope a software update will allow these cars to have the same functionality.

7. macrumors 6502

Great feature, but I am not going to buy or not buy a car based on whether or not it has Siri.

8. macrumors 6502a

foodog

No doubt... cool to have but not a deal breaker

9. macrumors member

CindyRed

Hope it's put in other cars soon

Would love to know what other models will have this. It'd be disappointing to see this only put in models considered to be "typically" owned by iPhone users, and have it bypass work trucks and GM sedans. Hopefully, it'll be across the board. That being said, its too bad Ford has an exclusivity agreement with Microsoft Sync.

10. macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

stupid microsoft sync :( i want fords to have this!

11. macrumors member

pezj

Oh chevy... This won't be enough to get anyone to buy this car. Can't wait to see it in Mini and Audi.

12. macrumors regular

Cisco_Kid

I purchased my last vehicle based on it having OnStar; it saved my life once while I was a passenger in a friends pickup, an impaired driver hit us and it called the authorities and EMS; while I realize you might not purchase vehicles based on small features like this; you need to know in the car business there is an ass to fit every seat.

My next GM vehicle will have Siri I hope.

13. macrumors 6502

This is super-cool news. I'm just curious if there is a cell subscription required since Siri (currently) requires Apple's servers to do anything with Siri. If so, I'm sure they'll do the Sat radio first 30 days free to entice you to subscribe....I likely would.

14. NewAnger, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

macrumors 6502a

I bet it will work in OnStar equipped vehicles. Of course GM wants this because SIRI requires internet to work and OnStar works by accessing cell towers just as it does to make phone calls. To use SIRI, they will require OnStar making money for GM.

The 2008 Chevy I used to have Verizon cell service.

15. macrumors 68000

16. macrumors 6502

Not if they don't have apple approved noise canceling chips. Which ain't likely since apple is in the hardware business as well. And thanks for going out of your way to point out you have money :rolleyes:

17. macrumors regular

Cisco_Kid

Mine has Bell service here in Canada for its OnStar connectin.

18. macrumors regular

Could have posted a better looking car along side this story...instead of that green mess

19. macrumors 6502a

Chevrolet, possibly the worst cars to grace the British roads.

Do people actually buy these in America?

20. ytk
    macrumors regular

Bimmer. A Beemer is a motorcycle.

21. macrumors 6502

From the article: "Eyes Free will put a dedicated Siri button on the steering wheel, allowing users to control their iPhones without moving their hands."

Bluetooth? According to the article I don't see this as siri coming with the car, but just a button that allows you to access it on your phone easier.

22. macrumors 6502a

The noise cancelling DSP Apple use are off the shelf parts. The methods and hardware Apple use are quite outdated now.

Microsoft have been to one of the biggest contributors to the industry.

Siri on these cars is just a button, and can also link in with your installed mic and loudspeakers.

23. macrumors newbie

Features from the countries strongest company stuck into crappy cars from the company that is the biggest monetary leach (and waste) in history? Wow! What great news!!

Great tech concept but nothing is enough to make me buy anything from GM ever. Next!

24. macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

The idea is that the people who use this will be the ones who otherwise would drive around while staring at their phone. I expect I will be a less distracted driver with eye's free... I can see numerous other drivers I know also being less distracted.

25. macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I have never heard anything about Audi getting Siri. I wonder if this is going to get adapted like Sirius and XM were before the merger.
    For example, Chevy is getting Siri (they also had XM), so Ford will probably not (They took Sirius).
    BMW Siri, Audi not seems likely to me.