GM in Talks to buy Chrysler

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by flopticalcube, Feb 16, 2007.

1. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

2. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Reuters says that GM and Chrysler aren't telling us if they are. Might be interesting, though. I don't think that it would happen, but I didn't think Apple would go Intel, either, and look where we are now.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

4. flopticalcube thread starter macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I don't understand it either but there you go. Suicide for both GM and Chrysler, imho.

5. flopticalcube thread starter macrumors G4

flopticalcube

6. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Good riddance. DaimlerChrysler has been a near disaster for Mercedes Benz.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it has, but i doubt that GM having them will do much good either.
    personally i think this would only hurt GM. they're spread too thin in their various 'child' companies as it is, and this wouldn't help. unless they finally axe some of their own lines to make room the Jeep/Dodge/MB/Chrystler.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Generic Motors have deserved to die for a long time. Their executives don't care about cars more than extracting the most profit from them.

I'd hate to see Chrysler go because they actually arrive at some good ideas. Of course, not balancing their vehicle lineup for high fuel prices was not one of their good ideas.

Daimler Benz hasn't made things better. They try to run the company by replacing people who might actually understand it and those people have no idea about volume sales, having been part of a luxury marque.

9. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

chrysler's cars have gotten better with the old mercedes parts bin. if GM were to run chrysler, another restructuring would likely occur, and who knows what that will result in.

i thought chrysler was doing well with their 300, crossfire, and their newly released sebring. guess not.

10. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Yeah, there's gonna have to be some thinning of the herd, from Daimler *and* GM. I always knew Chrysler would be a drag on Mercedes. I hope Jeep doesn't go the way of the dodo, though.

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

1 year ago voices were already strong at mercedes to sell it and the last 2-3 days when you watched german media it only got worse... while mercedes got from mild problems in 2005 into reaping huge profits chrysler sales are suffering more and more despite increase efficiency ... the problem with chrysler is that they only sell 10% of their cars on the international market and thus can't buffer of a bad year/bad model etc.

also in terms of using plattforms mercedes gains like zero from chrysler
    so far technology only went from mercedes to chrysler (E-class -> 300, SLK -> crossfire) and rather little back

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think the problem is that the 300, Crossfire, and the Hemi trucks were selling too well and the Calibre was not. Now that the price of fuel is higher, those which were selling well are not and the Calibre still is not selling well to pick up the slack.

Chrysler would be better off with VW than with GM.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

News Flash: GM to Throw a Concrete Life Preserver to Struggling Chrysler

14. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

um i HATE GM as they have no character...i liek chrysler and idont liek ford.. i liek german cars....but if chrysler and gm merge they will not see a dime of MY money.... i hope people feel teh same way too

15. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

While SUV's are oversized and gas guzzling, I wouldn't call GM's full size SUV and trucks unreliable.

Anyway, DCX has the power to fix Chrysler. Proof is the Charger, 300C, etc. The main problem is fighting between Mercedes and Chrysler. Chrysler seems to welcome help from Mercedes, but Mercedes doesn't want anything to do with Chrysler. I as well don't support this. Too much overlap with existing GM products and brands. Only brand that might be worth while is Jeep and only products worthwhile is the Viper which would be reskinned as a Pontiac and the Cummins Diesel, although the Duramax is a good diesel as well. This would also hinder GM's turnaround plan which seems to be working so far. I bet this is a ploy to get the UAW to concede some things when Chrysler goes into its contract talks with the UAW later this year.

16. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Most of the auto media sure doesn't. Obviously you haven't driven a new GM.

17. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I bet he is Farago. Who only likes German cars and drives a Porsche while there is his smug cloud over him and claims to know about cars. Just go to thetruthaboutcars.com and see the crap they write out. Farago is trying to get famous with his GM Deathwatch articles.

PS: Oh look, he started a Chrysler Suicide watch.

18. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Over my dead body! ;)

19. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Its funny because GM is set to be the first American-based manufacturer to post a profit again this year.

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Now, if they could do that by making good cars all round, that would be a point to make. Making cheap cars expensive is definitely a good way to make money. It's just not a good way to make good cars.

21. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Their new efforts are hardly cheap. The Saturn Aura, Saturn Sky, Buick Lucerne, the new CTS and Malibu coming this year, the new Impalas. Their V8s and now V6s that shut off cylinders to save gas. I'm sure none of you anti-GM people have ever seen, sat in, or heard of any of this, because all you want to think of is Olds Achievas and Park Avenues from the 90s. They're in the middle of a process of replacing essentially every car they make with something completely new. They already have publicly said many times they realized they made massive errors in the last two decades, especially in cheapness.

Bob Lutz makes references to it all the time.

22. iGav macrumors G3

Seem's like it doesn't it. Ford have done the same, and Volkswagon are seemingly in the process of travelling down that road too.

23. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I know! What a horrible decision for Mercedes Benz. As soon as they combined, they released that ugly minivan! What is that? And now their SUV's are becoming more and more chrystler-like. I am afraid to buy a Mercedes because it feels like I am buying a chrystler. (At least in the SUV region)

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Cadillac had the V8-6-4 years ago back around 1980. It didn't do much for fuel economy.

Then, something must have changed in one year because they were still cheap at the 2005 car show. GM still doesn't decent seats or switchgear. They're too concerned about impressing people with sheet metal, still, after all these years. The Impala did look nice, but this latest revision makes it look cheap. Chevrolet in particular, will always embrace cheap, because their customers are happy with that.

I sat in a Buick SUV last year because the representative didn't have anyone else in the area to capture. He wanted to impress me with how quiet it was. It was almost as quiet as my 1999 VW Golf. When I asked him about how often the engines suffered a total breakdown, my mum's friend having experienced this miles from nowhere, he became upset and walked away.

In fact, it was the same with all of the GM vehicles. They've changed--it's like they've finally embraced the 1980s.

25. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I agree that GM and Chrystler are cheap. Havn't I argued about this before?