GM Renames Buick LaCrosse in Canada

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Phil Of Mac, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Why? Because among the youth of Quebec, "LaCrosse" is a slang term for masturbation.

LINK

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Makes sense. However the article quotes the problem with the Chevy Nova in Spanish speaking countries. Actually that is a false hood. People in spanish speaking counties do know the difference between "no va" (No Go) and "Nova" (A stellar explosion, or a fast stellar event). This instance keep being brought up, but I actually go to the university that used to be General Motors Institue, with many professors former GM employees, and they have to continualy remind people that the "Nova" controversy never happened.

Also, what combination of words in any language does not have a strange conotation?

And, can anyone explain to me why the Geo/Chevy Metro is called the Pontiac Firefly in Canada??

TEG

3. Phil Of Mac thread starter macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

4. Danger! Will macrumors regular

Danger! Will

A chevy/geo metro was NEVER a GM car. It was a rebadged Suzuki Swift.
    About Firefly. I wouldn't want to drive something called a firefly. Fire and fly are words i'd never want associated with a car.

5. Phil Of Mac thread starter macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

It was, however, sold by the Chevrolet division of GM under the Geo brand.

6. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

Re: GM Renames Buick LaCrosse in Canada

Hmm, and I played lax in highschool and college.

I wonder if they're thinking of renaming La Crosse, Wisconsin ;)

7. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I always thought the purpose of auto advertising was to show how cars are phallic symbols. So what's the problem? :p

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: Re: GM Renames Buick LaCrosse in Canada

They certainly haven't renamed Intercourse, Pennsylvania, in Amish country. :D I think there is more business there than in Bird-in-Hand, PA but I don't think it's because of the name.

If Generic Motors can get anyone younger than 40 to buy their Buick vehicles, I would be surprised. They've been using Tiger Woods to draw the younger closer, but so far, it hasn't worked.

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I read that article in the paper this morning and had a good laugh. :) I remember a few friends from Montreal who taught me some fracophone slang along the same lines complete with a hand gesture known as "The Quebec stranger" ... but it doesn't translate very well to the written word. ;)