? GMail and Apple Mail... problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by quidire, Dec 14, 2004.

1. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

I'm using a fully updated version of Apple Mail.

I have two gmail accounts; they both are configured identically.

Sometimes one account will reject its password for a while while the other will have no problems. Eventually the troubled account will begin accepting its password, logging in and allowing the retrieval of messages. This problem occurs sporadically with both accounts.

What is going on here? How can gmail's pop implementation be this bad?

In case they were feeling over-polled by my accounts, I switched the POP request frequency to every 15 minutes, with no change in the problems' frequency.

Help!
    -RS

2. Eldentistfuturo macrumors regular

i have only one account, and it still get that error.

3. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

I get the same errors, beinging to piss me off

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I've tryied to remove the password from the keychain and start over with no luck. I'm not sure if its a gmail problem or a mail problem, but I'd like to think its just because gmail is still in beta. Hopefully it will be fixed.

5. JediL1 macrumors member

JediL1

I have a gmail account and I'm not having this problem. It does prompt me for the password once in a while.

I think that may correspond to the "remember me for two weeks" that normal gmail has for the login.

6. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

I have the Solution

I have experienced this "perceived" problem as well. Hopefully your problems where the result of the same factors as mine. If you have the auto check email feature on, make sure you don't have it checking for mail more than once every 10 minutes. I suspect that google is trying to discourage high amounts of bandwidth from people having their clients connect to their servers to often.

Since I made those changes, I haven't had a single rejection. I'm fairly confident that overfrequent "checking" was the problem. You folks try this out and see what transpires. Let me know how it goes.

If you haven't been able to connect AT ALL, then you should make sure you have Mail set up correctly. Unlike most POP3 access services, Google has some specific and unique differences in setup; such as non-standard port settings. They have a good set of instructions on Google's help page. Review your settings and make sure everything is correct. I made a couple mistakes the first time I set everything up. It's easy to do.

7. quidire thread starter macrumors 6502

quidire

Well I guess I'm glad I'm not alone; I am curious as to what port settings people are using...

995 for POP

SMTP is not as much a problem; I tend to be fine sending mail.

-RS

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

ooo ooo...I know...

It's still in BETA.

9. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Good call.

*smirk*

10. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's correct. It should be 995 with SSL enabled.

11. quidire thread starter macrumors 6502

quidire

BETA is an artificial label.

POP servers are not exactly cutting edge; if gmail has decided to roll their own, they really shouldn't be having such persistent authentication problems. This flaw has been around for weeks.

-RS

12. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Let them know your artificial problem by filling out the artificial contact form.

http://gmail.google.com/support/bin/request.py?contact=1

13. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

I started having the problem about 2 weeks ago and since then it has been progressively worse. It used to be that I would have to type in the password when it asked for it and then it would work. Then I'd type it in 2 or 3 times before it would work. Today, it just stopped working altogether. I haven't changed the settings at all from when I first set it up. The strange thing is that my grandparents account works perfectly with no hiccups. Is it my computer? Did anyone notice the change after they changed settings or installed a new app?

Spoke to soon. Grandparent's account is messed up too. Darn...

14. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Well, I only check my mail once every hour and I still have this "perceived" problem so you solution did not work.