Gmail and Google Calendar Update for iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 7, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

According to the official Google Mac Blog, Gmail and Google Calendar have been updated for the iPhone.
    Google has also posted a brief video intro to the improved Gmail and provided additional details on the changes to Gmail on the Google Mobile Blog.

Article Link: Gmail and Google Calendar Update for iPhone

2. macrumors 65816

I preferred the look of the old interface better, but it looks like they've added more functionality so that should balance it out.

3. macrumors newbie

At past, I didn't realise why I need a Gmail webapp for iPhone while iPhone already supports Gmail IMAP natively...

Now I know...the webapp is much more complete in functions. Gmail is different from traditional email boxes.:)

4. macrumors 6502a

I still seem to be getting the older version here in the UK

5. macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

It would be really nice if Google put all there web apps in an actual app (Google Mobile App) and set up the interface so it was free of the safari bars. This would free up space and allow for greater integration. Thoughts? They could also put google maps in the app...?

6. macrumors member

gwmac

Surely this can't be better than enabling imap and using the mail application and exchange on the iphone?

7. macrumors 68040

Yes it is better. Mail.app for iPhone is very limited compared to Gmail site.

For example, can you see threaded conservation in Mail.app?

8. macrumors member

gwmac

If the app isn't open do you get a notification that there are new messages, and if you view a mail on the iphone is it labelled as viewed on the main gmail site?

9. macrumors regular

I'm still getting the old version as well. I tried clearing cookies, history, and cache, but still old version.

10. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

For those of you still seeing the old version, note this comment from the article:

:)

11. macrumors 68040

tobefirst

The second Google comes out with a mail application that can display badges and check for mail automatically, I'm jailbreaking and hiding the built in Mail app.

12. macrumors 6502a

first question: no. and its not an app, its a webapp in safari.

second question yes.

13. macrumors regular

One reason I may not be seeing the updated version is I'm only on 2.2 since I'm a jailbreaker. In the blog it says it's for 2.2.1

14. macrumors regular

I noticed that too. I also noticed, I don't need all the functionality for the basics of sending and recieving mail. I've used the mobile web based version a total of maybe 3 times but I do see it's value.

15. macrumors 6502

This is great, really good news and it looks like a fantastic, flexible interface. It even html5 caches!!

But it has no push. Until I can have push too, it's not going to happen.
    They also need to get gmail pushing, full stop.

16. macrumors regular

Yeah that's annoying. Threaded convos are displayed one by one. Gets very sloppy if you have a thread with 3 or more people.

17. macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

One of the best advantages of the mail.app is that you can move emails to "Folders", which are your labels in GMail.

Their mobile email, even the new version, doesn't let you do that yet.

Once it does, I will probably use the GMail web app permanently.

18. macrumors 6502a

rockosmodurnlif

I can't believe how late Google came in with email and how far they have leaped ahead of Yahoo! and Hot/Live/Whatever MS calls their mail.

19. macrumors 6502

Xibalba

my thoughts exactly - maybe with the new updates i will try the webapp version again...

20. macrumors member

But you still can't add new events to the calendar while offline or see future events. They need a real app for iPod users (and iPhone users w/o consistent fast internet)! Unless anyone knows how to sync the iPod calendar to gCal without plugging into the computer?

21. macrumors 68040

If I am correct in my thinking, if you wait for OS 3.0, there'll be support for caldav, and i think you can use that in native ical on both iphone and mac os x with gcal.

22. macrumors newbie

23. macrumors regular

Did anybody notice the "Google Talk" application/icon on the screen at the end of the video. This might just be a shortcut to their google talk web version but i thought it was interesting...

24. macrumors 6502

Only one problem that I have come across so far with the new webapp is that JPG files cannot be viewed. I get a question mark instead of a clickable file name.

25. macrumors member

no alerts

Exactly. I can't see how any email interface is useful if it can't alert you when you have new mail.

Is this maybe why gmail is holding off on iphone push - they want us to use their interface?