Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I'm having some issues trying to set up gmail with the Mail app in Lion. I searched the forums but I couldn't find anything and I really can't believe nobody else is having this problem.

So I want to hide all gmail labels from showing up in Mail since I don't really use them at all. Unfortunately I have to keep the sent label active for sent emails to even show up in Mail. This causes a problem, any mail I send from my MacBook shows up in Mail labeled as a duplicate.

Is there anyway to sync Gmails sent folder with Mail's sent folder without using labels? Thanks.

Last edited:

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
to get the sent folder to work correctly

highlight the gmail sent folder, go to mailbox at the top and down to 'use this mailbox for' and select sent mail

this will replace the other sent folder with the gmail one (should only have the one after this, unless you have more email accounts, 1 sent per account)

to remove labels you need to do this from gmail.com
go into your mail in safari
click the cog wheel for mail settings
go to the labels tab
untick the 'show in imap' for labels you do not want to see in mail

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
to get the sent folder to work correctly

highlight the gmail sent folder, go to mailbox at the top and down to 'use this mailbox for' and select sent mail

this will replace the other sent folder with the gmail one (should only have the one after this, unless you have more email accounts, 1 sent per account)

to remove labels you need to do this from gmail.com
go into your mail in safari
click the cog wheel for mail settings
go to the labels tab
untick the 'show in imap' for labels you do not want to see in mail

Thanks so much, it worked! :)

Amberfool

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
I'm having some issues trying to set up gmail with the Mail app in Lion. I searched the forums but I couldn't find anything and I really can't believe nobody else is having this problem.

So I want to hide all gmail labels from showing up in Mail since I don't really use them at all. Unfortunately I have to keep the sent label active for sent emails to even show up in Mail. This causes a problem, any mail I send from my MacBook shows up in Mail labeled as a duplicate.

Is there anyway to sync Gmails sent folder with Mail's sent folder without using labels? Thanks.

I have a similar setup, and here's how I did it.

Description: Gmail
Email Address: Your gmail address
Full Name: Your Name

Incoming Mail Server: imap.gmail.com
User Name: your.name
Password: Mail 5.0 password

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.gmail.com
check: use only this server

Advanced
ImMAP Path Prefix: [Gmail]
Port: 993
check: Use SSL

And then in Gmail settings under Labels

System Labels Show in label list Show in IMAP
Inbox Yes
Buzz Hide No
Starred Hide No
Important Hide No
Chats Hide No
Sent Mail Show Yes
Drafts Show Yes
All Mail Hide No
Spam Show Yes
Trash Show Yes

Labels Show in Label List Show in Message List Show in IMAP
[Gmail] Hide Show No

Everything else in the list is set to show in both columns and in IMAP.

I believe that's all the settings I have that would correspond with your set-up. Let me know if that works. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.