Gmail and Mac functionality? Tips, tricks, apps?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by noahsnyc, Sep 12, 2004.

1. noahsnyc macrumors regular

Hello -

I recently became the proud recipient of a Gmail account, by way of a very generous buddy. Well, now that I have the sucker, I obviously want to use it to its fullest extent. It doesn't support POP access, so using my Mail.app with it won't do me no good.

Also, I was dissappointed to find that Gmail's keyboard shortcuts have no functionality with Macs...

I've downloaded GmailStatus, which seems nice enough, as well as AddressbookToCSV, for importing my addresses to Gmail.

Any other handy tools for use w/ Gmail (on a mac) that folks have been using? Any tips for usage?

Thanks

N.

2. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

I thought that there was a hack out there that let you use gmail as if it was a pop account....? I'll have to look for it and let you know.

3. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

gCount

I am using gcount and I really like it. The best would be if it worked with mail.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Just as Apple included MS Exchange Server functionality with Mail in Panther, I wonder if Tiger might offer some web-mail functionality stuff so that people can do hotmail and gMail and yahoo and whatnot without having to go on the web. Hell, I'd go for it if Mail put a Safari window in the app, I just don't like having to keep another window open and keep clicking Get New Mail.

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

They work for me, in both Firefox and in Safari. Have you went into "Settings" and turned them on?

Some keyboard settings are context sensitive, meaning they won't work except in particular windows (i.e. viewing a particular message). It's possible the ones you've tried weren't applicable to the screen you were in.

6. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

They keyboard shortcuts work just fine. Make sure they're turned on.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch.

7. noahsnyc thread starter macrumors regular

Right you are! I jumped to an early conclusion that Gmail and its power that be didn't include functionality for us Safari/Mac users. That being said, I figured out all the handy handy little shortcuts.

After playing around with it forthe past couple of hours, all I can say is...Can't someone please get a POP hack going for it?? POP access (which I hear is in the works from the proper authorities) would make it just perfect.

Thanks

N.

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Here's a handy little app for Gmail users that lives in your menubar and checks for new mail periodically - link to the app.

If you happen to use Yahoo! Mail also, YMail provides much the same functionality.

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

http://libgmail.sourceforge.net

10. noahsnyc thread starter macrumors regular

I'm stupid...so...

Sounds great, and as far as I can tell, does the trick.

How would one go about utilizing the code provided? It seems like everything wants to be run through Terminal, and is Unix-based.

For any of us lay-people, is there a "set-by-step" on how to use this package of code?

All this goes to show you, do a little digging and the good folks over at Macrumors' Forums will come to the rescue!

Many thanks,

N.

11. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I started writing up some instructions when I saw this message, and realized that all I would do is confuse people who aren't used to Unix -- there are a few steps to make it run automagically.

So, I decided to look at how hard it would be to turn this into a clickable Mac application, and lo and behold, that's wicked easy, since OS X comes with Python.

Please bear with me for a few hours while I make things a little prettier and do a little bit of testing. :eek:

13. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Guys, check out GMail to Mail! :)

14. toontra macrumors 6502

Thanks iMeowbot.

I'm hoping to find a way of using gmail with Entourage rather than Mail.

15. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

This is for basically any mail program that can speak POP3 (which is, pretty much any Mac mail program).

It works for me. You may or may not be so lucky. Read the readme. It's guaranteed to destroy the world, possibly including your mail too, so don't be upset if anything bad happens. remember, Gmail itself is in beta test, you shouldn't be relying on it for anything important.

There is a disk image in the zip file, with libgmail rearranged to make it less painful for Mac users.

Good luck, you'll need it. ;)

[More notes: This is really for Panther only, okay? And if you did something weird like not install the BSD subsystem, you might be missing needed things. Oh yeah, and GPL stuff: control-click on the app and show Package Contents to retrieve the source code, if you want it :p ]

16. noahsnyc thread starter macrumors regular

GMail POP

Ok, I haven't tried it yet, but good Lord, iMeowBot!!

Dude, you rock, you're like a Golden God! If this thing works, you'll surely be inundated with offers of women, wine and rolls of quarters!

Thanks, dude,
    n.

17. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I tried it, and I didn't like the fact that the apps "Gmail_POP_Server" and "Gmail_SMTP_Server" have to be forced to quit when I log out or restart. I decided to remove it for this reason. If someone could fix this issue (make the servers respond to quit events from the OS) I'd use this app.

18. PickledSquirrel macrumors regular

PickledSquirrel

iMeowbot! I am in awe. Just ran your little piece of magic and it works smoothly! (tried Gmail 2 mail) before but never managed to get it working)
    I'm afraid I'm kinda blond when it comes to programming and haircolour:eek:

ThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyou (and oh yeah, my employer could do with some impolite letters:))

DEATH TO OLD HOTMAIL ADDRESS! woohoo :D :D :D

-Squirrel

19. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

it works

imeowbot...dude...that's awesome...dude...

20. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Has anyone else had the problem that GMail's Contacts list doesn't seem to want to retain changes? I tried adding multiple email addresses to a single contact, and it lost all the changes after giving me a message saying I hadn't saved them (when I'd clicked to save changes more than once)!