Gmail and Mac Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by gamegal, Nov 16, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I want to connect my Gmail account to Mac Mail since I want to use IMAP rather than POP (Hotmail), but I'm not sure which settings to use, such as auto-expunge on or off. I want email I delete on Mail to move to the Trash on Gmail, not archive. I know many people love Gmail and connect it to Mail. What settings do you use?

2. macrumors newbie

It connects to gmail automatically. Set gmail to IMAP

3. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. macrumors newbie

stevo33

Connecting GMail to Apple Mail

It took me a while, but I think I figured it out. I couldn't get my Apple Mail to accept a GMail account. I tried entering Username (gmail address) and password... but it wouldn't accept it.

Then I did this:
    1. I went to GMail/Settings/Forwarding and POP/IMAP and set the account to Enabled IMAP. Save it.
    2. Then I went to Account/Security and turned on 2-Step Verification.
    3. Finally, I read up on Application Specific Passwords in Google at http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1173270. That showed me how to generate a ONE TIME password for using when I completed the ADD ACCOUNT function in Apple Mail--- Located in the File Menu. I put in my username (email account) and then copied and pasted in the one-time GMail password and it immediately went and found my account and put it into Apple Mail.

If I have this wrong or left something out... please let me know.