Gmail and mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by oo5yolo10, Aug 13, 2006.

1. oo5yolo10 macrumors member

oo5yolo10

I used the thread to set up my gmail account through apple mail. Right now it is going back like 2 years and finding EVERY email I have ever received in my gmail account, so right now I am on like december of '05 and counting. Any reason why? Also I set up my outgoing mail with smtp.gmail.com as the outgoing address and it wont send emails out, I get a error message? Anyone able to help, thanks!
    Luke

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

1. Did you, under GMail settings -> Forwarding and POP check "Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded)" or, as you should prehaps, "Enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on"?

2. Which error message do you get when you try to send a message? Have you added the account you send from under GMail settings -> Accounts? How is the Outgoing Mail Server sat up in Mail?

3. oo5yolo10 thread starter macrumors member

oo5yolo10

I switched in my gmail settings so now I will only receive new emails and I have not received any old messages since I changed that setting, so that seemed to work.

It says the sender address was rejected by the server. Also I have sent emails to this account and it doesnt look like it is receiving them either? I am a little confused

4. oo5yolo10 thread starter macrumors member

oo5yolo10

OK i can receive emails now, still cant send out though. Also any way to transfer all the emails (contacts) that are in my gmail account to mail?

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Did you follow the Gmail Help Center article to the letter?

You can export the Gmail contacts as a CVS file, but I've never tried importing that into Address Book... Edit: but it should work if you use Address Book : File -> Import -> Text File...

6. oo5yolo10 thread starter macrumors member

oo5yolo10

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Have you made sure to enable SSL in Mail.app? You may not be properly authenticating. By following all of the directions exactly in the Gmail help link it should work fine.

8. oo5yolo10 thread starter macrumors member

oo5yolo10

excellent, I appreciate the help! Got it up and running, just one more question. You know in gmail I can type "luke" in the outgoing address and my email will just pop up underneath it so I dont have to remember all those emails, is there a way to get those to mail? Thanks guys/gals

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Mail preferences -> Composing, check Automatically complete addresses.

I thought that was checked by default... :confused:

10. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

It should be on by default, but the email address must be in your address book. I think you can export the contacts from gmail back to address book, btw.

11. oo5yolo10 thread starter macrumors member

oo5yolo10

12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

...or Previous Recipients (you find this under the Window menu).

Yes, as I said above: Export as CVS from Gmail. Import as Text into Address Book. :)

13. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Hey thanks Mitty, that's a cool feature that I've not seen before. I like the way it indicates which ones are already in your address book as well.

Cheers!

14. oo5yolo10 thread starter macrumors member

oo5yolo10

ok I am horrible at this type of stuff, so I went to my gmail account and exported my contacts into an excel file? from the outlook csv, I then went into my address book and tried to import that as a text file, it then added all 285 contacts I had, but all have no info in them? Like the email address or the name? Any ideas? Am i close or way off

15. oo5yolo10 thread starter macrumors member

oo5yolo10