Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Hello All,

My iPhone 5 was just replaced because the camera didn't work. When I got the new phone, I did "Restore from backup". This restored all the settings, the music, the notes, and so on. It even has my two email accounts: One Gmail and one IMAP from my university.

The IMAP/university email works fine, although I had to type in my IMAP password the first time I opened the inbox.

The Gmail account does not work. I had to type in my password the first time I opened the inbox, but then it said "Cannot get mail - Connection to server failed".

I deleted the Gmail account and then did "Add new account" in Settings, and when I typed in the password, it displayed check marks next to everything including the password.

Still the same problem. "Connection to the server failed".

The "Add new account" step finishes fine. The error comes when I try to actually open the inbox.

I also cannot send mail from Gmail.

The Gmail App works fine, as does Gmail via Safari, but the Apple Mail App on my iPhone does not work with Gmail.

Any ideas?

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Fixed, just set up Gmail as a generic Exchange account

Previously, I had done "Add new account" and then I clicked the "Gmail" option, because I am using Gmail. This did not work.

I tried clicking "Exchange" instead. I put in the server info and stuff, and it worked great.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
google no longer supports activesync/exchange after january 30th. old accounts, set up on devices prior to that date will still work and be supported. since you have a new phone, you are out of luck. you have no choice but to set it up under the gmail setting in the email app and as IMAP only. you wont get exchange anymore since you switched devices.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
google no longer supports activesync/exchange after january 30th. old accounts, set up on devices prior to that date will still work and be supported. since you have a new phone, you are out of luck. you have no choice but to set it up under the gmail setting in the email app and as IMAP only. you wont get exchange anymore since you switched devices.

Additionally, if you want "push" notifications for your Gmail, you can install and setup the Gmail app with your account. You don't have to use the Gmail app for email...just get notifications from it.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Why are customers forced into the middle of this Apple v Google ********* war? I've just got my iphone 5 replaced and now cannot have pushmail for gmail.

Use a free service, eventually get screwed by the scammers who abuse your data.

Now to switch to another email provider.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
This might be a little late to help you, but here is what I think you need to do. Log into your google account, go to support and search for "application specific password." You will need to relog into your account and then you should land on a page that will allow you to generate a password that you will only need to enter once and it's only for the native mail to have access to your gmail account. I've been tripped up by this twice now, spent 45 minutes will Apple tech support, before I remembered this obscure process I had gone through a year or so back. If I understand your problem, this should solve it.

polycat33

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Alexandria, VA
My boyfriend had this same problem and found out this same answer, that google doesn't support it for new setups, so weird to me though because a week before he got his iPhone 5, and still in February, I bought an ipad mini and set up gmail with exchange push without this error. Wonder if it matters that my iPhone was already set up for exchange with the same account...

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
My boyfriend had this same problem and found out this same answer, that google doesn't support it for new setups, so weird to me though because a week before he got his iPhone 5, and still in February, I bought an ipad mini and set up gmail with exchange push without this error. Wonder if it matters that my iPhone was already set up for exchange with the same account...

old gmail account on old device = grandfathered
old gmail account on new device = wont work
new gmail account on old device = wont work

the only way it will, is if you have a working gmail prior to jan 30, set up on a device prior to jan 30 as well. there may have been a slight delay of a day or so here and there where an account got through, but i got a replacement device just after the cut off and i was no longer able to access it though exchange.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
old gmail account on old device = grandfathered
old gmail account on new device = wont work
new gmail account on old device = wont work

the only way it will, is if you have a working gmail prior to jan 30, set up on a device prior to jan 30 as well. there may have been a slight delay of a day or so here and there where an account got through, but i got a replacement device just after the cut off and i was no longer able to access it though exchange.
I am STILL getting this annoying message!!! Mail still works but when I refresh I get that stupid pop up. Brand new iPhone 6s+. Wth gives???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.