Gmail Exchange account always sends mail using my full name

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zorn, Jul 7, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

Zorn

I have my Gmail account set up on my iPhone as Exchange, to get push email. The issue I am having:

In my Gmail account settings, I have it set to send mail using only my initials, so that when I send a message to someone they will only see (A J) for example. When sending emails from my browser in gmail, this works fine. If I go to my iPhone, and send a response to an email thread, it will send from my full name. Any emails that I send from my iPhone automatically show my full name. Is there some type of account setting for this? I don't want it to use my full name when I send email from the phone. I have looked everywhere and don't see any setting for this. I have also called Apple support and they have no idea.

Anyone able to help?

Update: Problem is solved and here is the fix:

2. macrumors member

i'm new to iphones so my apologies if this isn't the answer you're looking for as i'm not sure what 'exchange' is

for mine, when you go into settings -> mail -> gmail -> account info

there is a slot for "name" where it should read your full name. change this to what you want (ie. your initials) and it should send using that... test by sending to a different account you have...

3. macrumors 6502a

You can definitely change this. I know I had the same issue.

4. macrumors member

Just verified that same path. There's probably just a discrepancy between that field on the iPhone and the one in your (Web-based) Gmail settings.

5. macrumors 601

vincenz

Been having the same problem myself. However, there's no slot for "name" when you go into Account Info.

Anyone else have suggestions?

6. macrumors 68000

The name that is sent with your email is the one you have set up in Contacts. Since you also have your email address held there it associates the name. You can change the name in Contacts or delete the email address from contacts.

7. macrumors member

where is this "contacts" you speak of? I checked on gmails website and my phone and if you're referring to my own contact....I dont have one set up

8. macrumors member

Can someone explain this to me?

I have to accounts set up as push. My Work acct and a gmail account.

I have the gmail account set as the default.

But, no matter what I do, if someone write my gmail account, and I reply, even with gmail as reply to...it still goes through with my work email as the 'reply to' address.

9. macrumors 6502a

maximus96

Log into Gmail.com and change your name there. Your phone will use whatever you put there as your name.

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zorn

There is no name field for me showing up in Contacts or under gmail account info on the iPhone.

On Gmail this is already changed to only be my initials.

11. macrumors 68000

I just tried this three times. I have my own name and email address set up on my iphone in the iphone contact list. I changed my name three times by mis-spelling or changing full name to initial. Each email which was sent to a spare email account Gmail picked up the name as spelt in the contact list every time.
    If you have not set up your own name in the contact list then I have no idea what Gmail on the iphone does.

12. macrumors member

Ok, I just figured out how to correct this problem. You have to log into the gmail website to do this.

-click on settings on the top
    -click on the 'Accounts and Imports' tab
    -scroll down and click on 'Google Account settings'
    -towards the top left, click on 'edit your personal info'
    -here you can change your first and last name. You will need to put something into the Last Name field. You can put in just an initial if you want
    -make sure to click SAVE at the bottom

I myself changed the last name to just an initial, and when I sent an email from my iPhone, it now shows just the initial instead of the full last name.

My gmail on my iPhone is set up through gmail's exchange server too, just so everyone knows.

13. macrumors 601

vincenz

I thought it might have something to do with Google Accounts, but didn't think to look there. Thanks a lot for figuring it out! Worked perfectly.

14. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zorn

This solution definitely works. Thank you!