GMail hates Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OldCorpse, Dec 4, 2006.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I've noticed that GMail's new featurs rolled out last month - such as convenient reply/forward etc. functions in the corner of every message - work great, and without problem in Firefox 1.5, but don't work at all in Safari.

I have the latest Safari and fully updated OSX 10.4.8.

What's up with that? Is it because somehow Safari doesn't display them (i.e. Safari's fault) or because Google designed it stupidly so it doesn't work on Safari?

Regardless of whose fault it is, here we are, yet again, with the Mac experience being subpar out there in this Win dominated world.

Sure it works in FF, but that's not Apple's native browser. I use primarely Safari. Why can't I have a good experience with Apple's browser? Why do I have to settle for sloppy seconds experience-wise, or be forced to other browsers, such as FF?

I like Safari otherwise, indeed I use it 90% of the time, but I so wish it was a better browser: smaller resource-hog, faster, more stable and more likely to display most of the web. Sadly, Safari really falls short.

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i use gmail with Safari still. i just don't use those features i guess. still works fine for me though

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yes, it's incomplete support in WebKit. If the user agent is spoofed to Firefox, that little menu will display but doesn't work correctly at all.

I know that work is going into making more "Web 2.0-ish" features work better in Safari, but they aren't done yet.

4. bozigle macrumors regular

empty complains

Not that this is the solution of everything but i have the feeling that the guys at apple don't have the time to browse all the different forums to gather such info. so for that king of specific improvement/correction it might be worth visiting http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/ and give a very accurate description of the problem or improvement you'd like... there they might do something about it...specialy with the release coming so soon

5. Jimmieboy macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

I do have problems with using gmail in safari. Mostly it's annoying beause gchat doesn't work. I use ichat with my gmail account and I'm always signed into it, and I use mail to check my gmail. Simple :)

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Probably not in this case, as there is already an open bug on that specific problem.

7. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I also find that, apart from the "Reply" option box not working, that I can't even get the little GUI toolbar to work at the top of my emails when using Safari.

8. captoats85 macrumors member

GMail is rough in Safari. Also no bold, italics etc either.

9. bozigle macrumors regular

(ot)

Hey Ok, but that is for google side.
    Do you know if there is any bugs database accessible on the apple side?? do we need to register as developer to be able to access the reported bugs?
    bozigle

10. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

No, that's the bug database for Safari (WebKit).

11. bozigle macrumors regular

(ot)

I'm confused now...
    There are the list of the operating systems... (including windows)... what does safari has to do with windows??

Well i guess web kit is larger than just safari and that would explains it.

How about a general apple's bug database?
    bozigle

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yep, it's been expanded to cover more platforms, but all the Mac code is there.
    That's Radar. You'll find some references to it in the WebKit logs, but generally speaking the world outside Apple doesn't get to see exactly what's in that database.

13. bozigle macrumors regular

(ot)

Damn it! it's hidden behind a member fee...
    Hey but thanks and sorry for the little deviation of the thread.

bozigle

14. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The basic ADC membership is a freebie, enough to report bugs and see the status (but not details) of them. Not a problem with the topic, it's all sort of related since we're talking about stuff that could use attention in Apple software :)

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Gmail hates safari and .mac hates firefox. I constantly have to switch between browsers to get mail.

16. Beligerent macrumors regular

Beligerent

I totally agree with the frustrations of the original poster. I am so tired of Safari being half supported all the time but heres another thing to think about.... Safari updates are tied to OS X updates so what will end up happening is Apple will solve the problem with a nice update to Safari and you'll pay $129 for it cause it'll be part of the next operating system.

It reminds me of something a friend of mine was outraged about a few years ago. I might be a little sketchy on the facts but I remember the story something like this: Apple, through a quicktime update, removed the ability for iMovie 3 to use iTMS purchases in your movies. The only way to get this funcionality back was to buy iLife '04. My buddy felt it was sleazy of Apple to remove or disable features through software update.

17. JAT macrumors 603

Is this the only computer you access mail from? I switched to Mail for my Gmail account instead of using a browser. Works great. Since my Mac is always on, I keep Mail off when I'm not there. That way if I absolutely want to access gmail from elsewhere, any new mail will be available via web interface.

18. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Yeah, but then you can't use any of the features that are normally associated with the Gmail interface, ie chat.

19. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

adium supports gchat