GMail Imap Cannot Send Mail?? IMAP Down?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sixth, Nov 30, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

Hey guys...jw if anyone is having any problems with GMail Imap today, I was able to send fine last night, but since this after I can not send anything...jw if I am the only one...thanks!

2. macrumors 6502

I have been having the same problem on my hacked iPod Touch. Although I have been having no problems with Mail on my Mac. :eek:

John

3. macrumors newbie

Sixth, is yours hacked? Apple might be sending out something that messes up hacked hardware..

4. macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

mine wont connect to outgoing sever!

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

i am having the same issue....i have been on some other forums with nothing to do with the iphone and people are reporting the same thing (howard forums and nokia forums).....

btw i dont have a hacked iphone...and its a brand new 8gb actually...

thanks for the replies!!!

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Is this still down for people...still not working for me...

7. macrumors 601

Phil A.

Without wanting to be picky, IMAP isn't used for sending mail - outgoing mail goes through SMTP.
    That aside, it works fine here on my Google Apps account (which uses the same servers)

8. macrumors 6502

Not working for me either...well, on my computer it's not, haven't tried sending anything from my iPhone yet.

[UPDATE] OK it tested fine from my iPhone and everything received fine on the computer and iPhone, so now it's a thing of sending from my computer. Well damn Sam. And my account settings are correct...

9. macrumors member

Have you checked the email address you're sending too? Google's servers will not accept any illegal formatting. For example, for a few days I was trying to send a message but the imap servers kept on rejecting it. After closer inspection I realised that I had typed ",com" instead of ".com".

Maybe that will help you?

10. macrumors 6502

Well, it seems as though I got it to work on my laptop now that I have checked that the server requires authentication...will check on my desktop in a little bit to see if it works from there.

Hopefully this fixes my issue, and hopefully the OP is in the same situation.

[UPDATE] I checked the same setting on my desktop and it sends now, so that seems to have been my issue. Make sure that if you're using Outlook in the "Outgoing Server" tab in the account properties that it's checked that authentication is required.

HTH

11. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I use gmail on my iPhone and haven't had any problems with it. If it's never worked for you, I'd say it's a bad configuration. Doublecheck all your settings.

12. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Mine used to work, as of this morning it no longer works. I'm using gmail imap as well. I get but cannot sent.

13. macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

It didn't work for me either! I had to delete the whole account (IMAP and SMTP settings) and re enter them from scratch.

14. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh I'll try that when I get home. Thanks for the tip---though we shouldn't have to do this at all!!!

15. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Deleting the account and re-adding it worked. It was also experienced by another user. I am on 1.1.1 he's on 1.1.2 so don't know if it was AT&T or gmail but it seems to be ok.