Gmail + iPhone 5 Notification Center

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod touch Apps' started by Exit34, Nov 7, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I use gmail as my main personal email client and prefer the gmail app over the stock iphone 5 mail app. The issue is that I have the gmail app set up to send notifications to the notification center. During the work day, I typically have gmail open on my computer and can check and read the email messages from my computer browser. After these messages are marked as read, I noticed they still appear in the notification center on my iphone. I can even read the messages from within the iphone app and mark them as read and the notification center will still display these messages. The only way for me to get rid of them is to manually clear them from the notification center.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue with the gmail app? Should the email not sync as read and drop from the notification center at that point?

many thanks!

2. macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I think this issue (clear a notification "in app", remains in Notification Center) extends beyond the Gmail app, as I routinely experience it with one of my Exchange email accounts. But I've also seen it in other non-email situations as well so my guess is that it's something that has to be coded for that some developers miss, including some at Apple.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Just seems like a pretty basic thing to miss in the QA process.

4. macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Totally agree with you however I'd say it's pretty minor compared to shipping out iPhone 5s that can't even receive software updates OTA.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Hah! touché my friend, touché