gmail + Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OrangeCuse44, Dec 13, 2006.

1. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Can all existing gmail messages be imported into Mail?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yes, but you'll have to fool around with the settings in GMail when you set up the POP access.

3. Soton Speed macrumors member

Look at the Forwarding and POP access pane in the settings of your Gmail account.

4. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

5. ljump12 macrumors 6502

Why use mail when you can just usr gmail --- gmail rocks hard

6. shawsinio macrumors regular

Gmail is good, but having your inbox on your desktop can't be beaten. Even with Gmail notifier, you still then have to log in when you have recieved a message. With mail, it alerts you when you get mail, and then with 1 click your in your inbox, and can send away! I never bothered with Mail.app untill a few weeks back, and now I wonder how i lived without it!

shawsinio

7. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Not to mentiion you can actually compose a draft of a message without being connected to the internet. The synching of the address book is key also- you can also synch the google calendar with iCal... again, complete access offline and a total view of all calendars.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

What do you use to sync your address book?

I wish there were an easy way to sync gmail's labels and rules down to mail.app.

Like when I get a forum reply on gmail, it pops it over to a label called "Forums" and archives it, so it's not in my Inbox, but shows as unread in the "Forums" folder thingie...

9. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

If I had only gmail as an email, I would not use mail ... but having gmail email, college email, ISP email and .mac email ... having them in 1 application is wonderful ... the only thing missing is hotmail .. but doesnt work if you dont get the "premium" 30 bucks a year rip-off ... :cool:

10. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

importing to Mail worked like magic. thanks for the help!

11. thenewguy macrumors regular

when you do this the mail no longer exists in your Gmail web client, right? it only exists in Mail on your local computer?

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

It's your choice. You can choose to either have no web copy or you can choose to keep 'em. (I keep them that way I can free up space on my computer HD and have backups in case I accidentally delete something I want.)

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

I can't figure out a way to keep Mail.app in sync with gmail, and vice-versa.

I got Mail.app to download my gmail (and leave a copy on gmail, so when I'm at work I can see all of my emails thru the gmail web interface), but if I delete anything in Mail.app, it doesn't delete off of gmail. Le Sigh. heh

14. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

that's the disadvantage of POP... it's a one way affair

15. Yoda47 macrumors newbie

If you want to get information out of a message, and don't have an internet connection handy.

16. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

i still think its better to have emails on your desktop so you don't have to log in, but when do you not have an internet connection?

17. Yoda47 macrumors newbie

If I'm taking my laptop somewhere where there isn't one. (For example, a grandparent's house, or say, 30,000 feet up in an airplane...)