Gmail Notifications

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dhokes, Jan 9, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

I've currently installed Google Notifier but is there a better alternative so that I can receive instant notification when I receive an email in my Gmail inbox?

2. macrumors 6502a

igucl

The built-in Mountain Lion notification system works with Gmail, even if you're not using the Mail app.

In your browser, go to your Gmail settings and enable desktop notifications.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

I've enabled desktop notifications in Chrome but then when I sent myself an email, I don't see any notifications. :confused:

4. macrumors 6502a

igucl

I wasn't referring to a browser setting. I meant the settings for Gmail itself.

If you open your Gmail account in your browser, and then go to the Gmail settings under the gear icon, you should see a setting for "Desktop Notifications" under "General".

5. macrumors 6502a

mankar4

I love mailtab for Gmail. It has a little more functionality than what it seems you want, but it's totally changed the way I interact with my inbox.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I should have been clearer. My default browser is Chrome but I've changed the settings for Gmail though when I sent an email to my Gmail account, I don't receive any notifications...

----------

I shall check it out.

7. macrumors 6502a

igucl

I'm at a loss as to why it wouldn't work for you. This may be an obvious question, but are you running 10.8?

8. thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, 10.8.2.

Do you have a screen cap for what the notifications look like?

9. macrumors 6502a

igucl

I wonder whether this is something that has to be enabled in the Notifications section of System Preferences. Maybe you have to turn on or manage the Notification settings for the browser of your choice.