gmail "pay it forward"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by einsteinium, Jun 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. einsteinium macrumors member

Hey all - I think we should start a Pay It Forward system for members with gmail invites to spare. I am looking to an invite myself and would be more than happy to pass on any I recieve to any other needing members of Macrumors. I propose you just reply to this post to get your name on the list. If you have invites to spare, send them to the most recent names on the list and once you do receive an invite, edit your post noting so. That way we all can get access to the service.

Thanks
    einsteinium

hey all. i have a gmail account, any invites i get will be passed on to you guys.

thanks

2. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

I'd like a gmail addy too... to replace my hotmail one that is filled with unsolicited SPAM!

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

got it

10 print "I have Gmail";
    20 goto 10

run

4. ifjake macrumors 6502a

yahoo just upgraded their free account to 100MB. that's plenty as far as i'm concerned. i'm not sure i'm getting what the deal is with signing up with google. you can't just sign up you need an invite from someone? are they still testing it? i've been a yahoo user for a while, the spam blocker works great. and now you can recieve up to 10MB attachments and i think send out the same. sure the ads aren't all that slick, but i'm not spending enough time on webmail for that to really bother me.

5. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

edit: Thanks to kentd I now have a gmail account. If/When I receive invites I'll be sure to "pay them forward" to others here on MacRumors.

6. radhak macrumors regular

I receive and acted on an invite from a friend 4 days ago. But as yet i do not see any that i could forward. i think there must be some time lag before you get to invite others.

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/04/24/154216.shtml?tid=126&tid=137&tid=215&tid=95

And they'll probably keep testing it until October.

I might have to get one seeing that someone from AventureMail.com decided to disable my account without warning...Looks like I'll be sending some emails from Fastmail for a while. [​IMG]

EDIT: I'm not alone! http://3fingersalute.net/aventuremail/index.php
    The bastards! [​IMG]

8. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

Count me in too, I'd like an account to replace my hotmail one which is just too small these days.

An invite from someone would be much appreciated :D

**Edit**

I now have a Gmail account - if and when I get some invites I'll be sure to check out this list and see if anyone still needs one :)

9. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Another thing you can try is to buy an invite on eBay. I just bought one for US$1.75. That is very cheap. There's about 3000 of them right now on eBay and they are all going very cheap ending every minute or so. So, if you got 2 bucks and a PayPal account, you are golden.

10. therevolution macrumors 6502

Of possible interest to you hotmail users:

Hotmail to increase storage

Gmail's pretty sweet though. Got my invite yesterday, and I love it so far. It's definitely worth a couple bucks on ebay.

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

12. abc123 macrumors 6502

i've got an account now thanks, once i get invites i'll pass some on

i'd definitely be interested in this, someone needs to have invitations and get it started.

13. dethl macrumors regular

Count me in too!

If someone has a spare, toss it to me and I'll give my invites out to more Macrumors members.

EDIT: Got one from another source. Don't send me an invite! I will give mine out as soon as I get any.

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I got GMail a couple of days ago, sorry folks, no invites showing up yet though :(

www.gmailswap.com is where/how I got my GMail, I just paypaled (sp?) some guy $10 and he sent me an invite, simple :cool:

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You only get granted invites on a random basis and when they increase capacity on the system. You (and me) might be lucky that when they set the next batch of invites we'll get a few of them to send to others. But it's not something that you are guaranteed to get. Simply having GMail does not mean that you will be able to invite others.

16. russed macrumors 68000

russed

count me in - a gmail account would be nice - get away from microsoft altogether

17. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I have a spare invite but somebody has already reserved it, but I'm sure in a few weeks I'll have some to spare.

18. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

I know many people don't think its right to pay for accounts that will be free in the future, but they really are cheap since all these invites went out. I picked one up on ebay for £1 on buyitnow, and I'm sure you could get them cheaper if you're willing to wait on normal auctions. £1 for my name @gmail.com is fine by me.

If I get any invites I'll check back here, my girlfriend and best friend are first in line however.

Now does anyone know of a way to use it through pop or imap?

19. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Don't think POP/IMAP is possible since they use their web-based targetted ads to generate revenue.

20. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I'm dying for one as well, but paying for one on eBay just seems wrong... I'd rather do it the fair way than let people profit from google...

I believe the official answer is that they're looking into it, I'm sure advertising plays a role in how feasible this is, server load probably does as well. I wouldn't expect to see it until gmail goes through it's first major round of public revisions.

paul

edit: Thanks to aus_dave, I will be paying my account forward as soon as I am able to invite new members.

Thanks Dave!

21. therevolution macrumors 6502

Take a look at POP goes the GMail. For Windows only, though. I've read that they are planning to add POP/IMAP support at some point, but not necessarily for free. We just have to wait and see...

22. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

anyone who wants the gig but cant pay for gmail theres always (drumroll)...
    SPYMAC

23. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

i have gmail too, but I wouldn't pay for something I could get free in the future

24. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.