Gmail push

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ring, Feb 10, 2013.

1. ring
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

On january 31st 2013, google cut off support to regular users of the "google sync" feature. This was a major problem for me, and caused me a great deal of difficulty when I had to restore to 6.1.

I now use the crappy "Gmail.app" app for iphone, and I use it to push email.

But the problem is the following.

- On the regular mail app, you could choose what tags/folders to push. on gmail you cannot.

- I have several filters where it is designed to skip the inbox (eg facebook notification emails) and stay in a separate folder. But I still want to get the push notification for said folder, as I don't want to miss important notifications.

Other than sending all that **** to my inbox, how is this possible? Can I get the google sync to work again? Are there any hacks for this?

Thanks;

Love, me

2. ugahairydawgs
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Only way to get Google Sync working again is to use a Google Apps business account.

3. ring
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors regular

what about the notifications?

I think I'm just going to do the following:

Forward all mail to my icloud account and set up push for the "non inbox" folder as I don't need to reply to these, I just need to get the notification

And use regular gmail for the push (important **** amirite)

4. rhett7660, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013

rhett7660
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G3

rhett7660

Have you looked into outlook.com and setting up an account there? I know it works on the iphone I just don't know if the other items you are requesting work with it. But you might want to give it a look.

5. ugahairydawgs
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Notifications should still work like normal. Just go under the notification part of the Settings app.

6. vistadude
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Just change your filter so it gives facebook emails a label so you get a notification when you get the email. Then once every year search for emails labeled facebook and select all with two clicks and click archive.

7. ring
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors regular

gmail doesn't push to ios via mail.app

8. Sdahe
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

Sdahe

One question about this app... since it pushes the emails to your iPhone.. how is it to the battery?.. does it drains your battery?

9. BrianBaughn
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

BrianBaughn

In those circumstances it does. ugahairydogs was responding to your question about his earlier suggestion to get a (paid) Google Apps for Business account which supports EAS for iOS devices.