Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MmmPancakes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Austin, TX
I'm running on Tiger, and I have noticed the past few weeks that images in Gmail sometimes do not show up in any Web browser. I'm not sure if this problem is exlusive to Macs, but I don't use Windows so it might be a dual OS issue (and yes, I know about 'display images' in Gmail). It seems odd to me some images display and some don't.

Anyone else have problems with this or know of a workaround?

exeterbohemian

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
brooklyn
i think it depends on the format the images are in. as safari i don't think is designed to display certain formats (i.e. *.bmp). as far as firefox is concerned, i have no idea. by 'images', do you mean like file attachments, etc., or like the actual gui of gmail? i've never experienced any problems with the latter.

MmmPancakes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Austin, TX
exeterbohemian said:
i think it depends on the format the images are in. as safari i don't think is designed to display certain formats (i.e. *.bmp). as far as firefox is concerned, i have no idea. by 'images', do you mean like file attachments, etc., or like the actual gui of gmail? i've never experienced any problems with the latter.

It appears it mostly doing it with jpgs, but that may be because that's the primary type of image attachments I receive. The Gmail GUI appears fine and stable - it's the images embedded in Gmail I have a problem with.

I should have clarified this in my original post - but attachments are always fine, the primary problem is when they're embedded in the message. Instead of an image I just get the little red square, like a bad html image link on a Web page. Very strange.

exeterbohemian

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
brooklyn
in that case it sounds really like it's something wrong with gmail itself, as opposed to your browser. especially if you're experiencing it with both safari and firefox. technically speaking, gmail is still a beta. i too have experienced the 'little red square' phenomenon, and i think it has something to do with whatever plugins gmail uses to render. some images work, others don't. i'm still fairly confident that it's a problem in gmail though and not the browser itself, because i get the same thing on my windows machine with internet explorer. and as long as your attachments are fine, i wouldn't worry too much about it. perhaps send the folks at google an email. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.