Gmail Signature!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fayans, Oct 31, 2005.

1. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

2. dodonutter macrumors regular

When they say "your server" where would that be exactly seeing as i don't have a server or any space on one... the joys of being poor

3. fayans thread starter macrumors 6502a

fayans

Why do you need a server? Just 'Save the Image to the Desktop' or anywhere you like. :)

4. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Yeah, as long as your name doesn't have more than 16 letters ;-)

5. dodonutter macrumors regular

Can't link to it unless its on a server though...got a nice little gmail sig sitting on my desktop doing nothing at the mo

6. fayans thread starter macrumors 6502a

fayans

I use it on my Mail signature by drag-n-dropping it to its signature box. ;)

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think that, when they mean you should upload it to your server, they mean to a site like Photobucket.com or Flickr.com that has free image hosting with inline linking. You may or may not be poor...if you have a computer and an internet connection, how poor are you? Anyway, if you're on the internet already, there's no additional cost to use those sites to host your signature.

8. dodonutter macrumors regular

Well im a student so thats what i mean by poor...have to admit that i haven't figured out how to link to pics and not sure how to host them online so it's mainly ignorance

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Try to go to one of those two websites. I think Photobucket is the easier one to use, personally. When you post an image there, you get three boxes underneath it that have HTML, IMG tag, and raw URL... So you can put the first one in a web page or an HTML formatted e-mail, the second one in posts here, and the third one in boxes that ask you for a link to your image. It's really not too hard. :)

P.S. I'm a student too. How poor are students, really? Of the past 90 days, on how many have you been unable to eat or provide food to your family, because you did not have money for food? How frequently did you have to sleep outside because you could not afford housing? How frequently were you unable to clothe yourself or your children, if you have any, because you did not have money?

10. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Look into your school as a host. My school (Rochester Institute of Technology) gives us something like 20 MB's of apache space. Ontop of that, we can get second level domains and static IP's on the web (like my PB is beng.rit.edu). I would be surprised if your school doesn't do something like this as well. I used my 20MB's of storage for hosting ebay photo's and the likes.

BEN

11. dodonutter macrumors regular

Thanks for that...look into it after lectures tomoro. On the money front i probably couldn't be classed as poor but i definitely don't have as much money as i would like. I know that probably applies to 99.9% of the worlds population but at the moment i am living off hand outs from my parents and my student loan is paying for my rent. Im only 20 so no kids but still don't like taking money from my parents so i can eat. Don't plan on having a family until i have a job and can support them.....and if i can find a woman to put up with me:p