Gmail signups now Open (in the US)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by dubbz, Aug 25, 2005.

1. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

According to this blog entry Gmail signup's have been opened for those in the U.S.

It does require access to a mobile phone, since they'll send a verification code to your phone to make sure you're a real person.

No Signup available for me on the Gmail frontpage, so I guess they check the IP, or something similar, to make sure you're in the US.

Of course, everyone I know already have a Gmail address already :p

2. mbdamdg macrumors member

i'm sure someone could email you an invite.....I have somewhere around 50 invites......Now if you're friends were really your friends they would invite you. Or maybe they're trying to save you from the 'Google take over the world plot' by not introducing you to gmail..... :)

3. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

I don't think that he is saying that he needs to get an account, he was just saying that supposedly signups are now open, yet he can't find the page

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I will confirm that signups are available. On the US gmail sight you give them your phone number and they text message an invitation code to you. There is a limit of 10 codes per phone number.

I can give you a screen shot if you want it.

5. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

They do seem to be available to the general public, as the OP said.

6. dubbz thread starter macrumors 68020

dubbz

That whould be nice.

Thanks for the offer, mbdamdg, but I already have several Gmail accounts. :)

7. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

I think Google is also partially doing this whole "invitation" thing to make you feel special and part of the "club". It's actually quite a good marketing trick, since I and thousands have fallen for it! ;)

llama :D

8. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

Yes, not that nearly everyone has 50 invites, it is not the most exclusive club! Good to see it is now more open, although it is not truely open to all just yet.

9. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

This is what the US site looks like to sign up.

Attached Files:

10. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I do, but many people do not have a mobile phone. Why not use e-mail verification? It proves you are real, but still is something that anyone can use.

OR!

Even better, they could just CALL the phone number you give them and a voice read the number. This way you could give them a home phone number. Almost everyone has a phone of some sort, but it's definitely not everyone who has a mobile phone.

By limiting it to only people who have a mobile phone, it STILL looks like they are trying to cut back on the number of users on Gmail.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The offer leaves me out I don't personally have a mobile phone. Seems strange that they wouldn't just use the computer and E.Mail.

12. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

I guess so it makes it that much harder to use a bot...

13. dubbz thread starter macrumors 68020

dubbz

Do you have to own a phone yourself? It whould seem possible just to have the code sent to a friends phone, if you don't have one yourself.

14. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Makes sense to me. They have no way of knowing whose phone it is. Or do they... hehe.

15. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

well if you would like one, i would be more than happy to give a fellow MR friend an invite! :D

16. freiheit macrumors 6502a

What an incredibly pointless use of technology. You HAVE to have (and use) a cell phone's text messaging in order to sign up for an email account? I mean, my god, imagine going to a car dealer, paying for a car and having them tell you they won't give it to you until you go home and listen to the radio to hear your "lucky number". Just because text messaging exists doesn't mean it should be used as the sole means of obtaining other things.

I expected better from Google.

17. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Maybe after taking over the internet, Google will take over the cell phone business too.

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Ha, maybe I'll finally get around to making a gmail account for myself...

naahhh ;)

19. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Nigerian spammers would abuse it soooo badly. Quite a bit safer now, methinks.

20. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

In general I agree, but since I didn't score an invite quickly enough, my standard user name has been taken by someone else. Guess I'll stick with yahoo and/or hotmail.

21. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

From their FAQ as to why you have to have a cell phone

Looks a lot like they are trying to keep out the spammers. That being said if anyone wants an invite PM me with your e-mail addy and I will send you one.

22. jopebythesea macrumors newbie

It does kind of bias it for use in the States only. Which is odd, for a service that comes in 38 languages... But I'd rather go through the hassle of scrounging an invite now than watch my account fill up with spam.