Gmail Spam and Mail

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lu0s3r322, Dec 27, 2006.

1. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

Nov 28, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    For all you gmail users, you all know that gmail comes with a spam filter. Well I use the Mail app to look at all of my e-mails but when I recieve it, Gmail doesn't forward me the spam e-mail that it filters.

Why do I want this you ask?

Well I want to use Mail to bounce all of my spam in hopes of not receiving more in the future. I get over 100 spam emails a day and I want it to stop.
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    FYI, the vast majority of spam can not be bounced effectively. Unless it's from a legitimate company (which would usually provide you with a mechanism for actually opting out of e-mails), the from and reply-to e-mail addresses on spam are almost always faked. One of two things will happen:

1. If the faked address does not exist, your bounced spam will be rejected by that domain and you'll end up flooding your own inbox.

2. If the faked address does exist, you'll be bouncing the message to some poor sap who has nothing to do with the spam and is powerless to do anything about it.
  3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Mar 21, 2006
    yep it's quite annoying. If you want to get this mail in the mail app's inbox, you need to move the spam to the inbox or all mail at the gmail site. After you download it to your comp you can get rid of it at gmail.