Gmail username & password are incorrect on 3G only

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by patp, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Guest

Weird thing happened today. When I'm using 3G on my Verizon iPhone 4, when i try to download mail from my gmail account i keep getting an error: username or password is incorrect for gmail account.

Got home and onto my own wifi and everything was fine, no more errors. I logged into my gmail account and all seems to be okay.

Maybe a temporary glitch while searching for the gmail server thru Verizons network?

2. macrumors newbie

I'm suddenly having the same issue, starting about the same time, but it's with my 3Gs on AT&T.

Logging into gmail.com, everything works fine, but phone keeps giving me the error message.

3. macrumors 6502

briansolomon

I have that happen from time to time. It clears itself up in a few hours. I can't figure it out either.

4. macrumors newbie

Here's the fix...at least for me and a few other

Kudos to psingh01 for posting this solution in a different thread.

I, too, kept getting the "User name or password is incorrect" message when on the 3G network, but worked fine on Wifi.

I did the following from my laptop, but this may work from the iOS device, too.

-Just log in to your Gmail account.

-Under "Settings," disable IMAP. Save it. Then go back to "Settings" and re-enable IMAP.

Worked for me.