Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

misterman8

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
I moved to London about a month ago for school. I am living in the dorms, woo hoo, its really cool when you're 25. Anyway, since I moved here Entourage can't access my gmail account. Does anyone know if this is my schools firewall or somethign else? My college has ridiculous restrictions on what you can see, use, smell over the network, but gmail's webpage loads fine and all of its functions seem to be there. Just when I try to check it with entourage it says, "An operation on the server timed out. the server may be down, overloaded, or htere may be too much net traffic." I have also heard that gmail has some issues with europe, so I don't know if that could be it. I guess either way I am out of luck, but maybe its something silly that I've overlooked? Does email, like traffic, come from the wrong direction here too?Thanks.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Have you checked the Gmail configuration instructions for Entourage to make sure your settings are correct? It's important to note that using POP with Gmail requires special ports to be used (995 and 587 for Entourage) and that not only must you configure this correctly in Entourage, you must ALSO make sure that your network (firewalls, etc.) is configured to allow traffic on these ports.

misterman8

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
Yeah, unfortunately I have. Everything was working just fine back in teh states, and then I came over here and not so much. So I am thinking it has to do with the firewall, which I have no control over. Boo. I am open to other suggestions, but I guess for the time being I am stuck checking the website.

Vinnie_vw

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
the Netherlands
After suffering from headache after headache from trying to set gmail up to forward pop to both entourage and outlook (whenever I have both turned on, it only seems to download to one of the two), I've decided anything but webmail is overrated.

Unless you sync your mails with your to-dos and calendar (which is admirable), or read your mail offline, you don't really need the functions of a mail-client. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but you can pretty much format your text quite well in gmail, add a signature, and filter to folders, not to mention the 2+ gig space you have, as well as install several types of notifiers or use google/ig.

So why even use entourage/outlook, appart from that it looks nice?

Btw. gmail just tried to lock my account for 24 hrs for trying to mess around with it too much. Luckily I protested and they unlocked it after 30 mins. But man, I hate having to configure s**t to work. I'm happy I still get my mails.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.