Gmail works for Apple Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wonga1127, Aug 9, 2006.

1. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

Mar 16, 2006
    Wishing for a magic bus.
    Does anybody know if Gmail works with Apples Mail client? If so, what is the name of the server it runs on?
  2. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Yeah, it works just fine. GMail has a very detailed, graphical, instruction page on how to set up POP on Mail to access your account. It's very easy, just go to your forwarding preferences and follow the instructions posted on the link in there.
  3. onlyONE macrumors member

Jun 14, 2006
    Yep, Gmail works perfectly with Apple's Mail client, I use Gmail and it has worked out very well for me. Here is the link to the page on Gmail which guides you step by step through configuring your mail to work. It's great, and really simple to use!
  4. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Apr 29, 2006
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    i used to use it everyday with gmail. but when i got my G5 i stopped, i was having some issues with the emails only going to one computer lol. But what i do now.

I sent ALL of the emails from my gmail account to my powerbook and i just use the regular gmail window on my g5 if i happen to need to check my email while on it.

I love the mail program, its just so easy to use, Im glad to be using it again.

I do most of my websurfing/emailing on my powerbook anyways. my g5 is my workhorse :)

so. after all that gibberish. yes gmail works wonderfully well with apple mail
  5. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

Jun 27, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
  6. rafifreak00 macrumors regular

Aug 7, 2006
    Kansas. No, not on a farm.
    I remember a while back I set up Mail to use my Gmail account.

I didn't like it much, there isn't an "Archive" feature in Mail, so how would we move mail to archive in All Mail?
  7. wonga1127 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 16, 2006
    Wishing for a magic bus.
    Okay, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. It refuses to connect to the POP or STMP servers. I have checked and rechecked my typing on my account name and my password. It won't let me create an account just with the text box thinger in the preferences, just a wizard type thing. HelP?

Edit: nvm, got it to work, i am dumb. forgot to save preferences in gmail.
  8. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2003
    I've been using Gmail in Mail ever since I got it over a year ago, never had any problems. I just followed the instructions on the Gmail site and it worked without a hitch.
  9. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2006
    washington dc
    This is probably a really dumb question, but it doesn't actually DOWNLOAD all of your email, just the headers, correct? Because I have a couple of GBs of Gmail email and I would hate to have it all duplicated on my pitifully small Macbook harddrive.

10. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2003
    Ooh, hmm... If I remember correctly when I first entered it into Mail... I think I might've received all the messages I had on Gmail at once, a few hundred. But I THINK there's a way to stop this from happening.

After that beginning part though, Mail will just download all new messages as they come, as you except it would.
  11. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

Jan 14, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    I kinda have a similar question but theres no point in makeing a thread.

Is there a way to use G-Mail in iChat?