GMail

Discussion in 'Community' started by baummer, May 6, 2005.

1. baummer macrumors 6502a

For those who use GMail, what features would you like to see? I love the slick interface and the speed, among other things, but I feel it's lacking in one major area that would cause myself (and more than likely a bundle of other users) to use it even more: the ability to add POP/IMAP accounts (similar to Hotmail, etc.). If they added this feature, I'm quite certain I would abandon the use of a traditional email client.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, you CAN use a POP client (such as Outlook) to read and send Gmail... so what exactly are you proposing they add? Using their web client as a POP client to read and send mail from non-Gmail addresses?

3. baummer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I was referring to using it as a client for non-Gmail addresses.

4. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Hmm...

If I recall, the largest file that you can send to a Gmail address is 15MB (unless this has changed). Since there is potentially over 2GB of space available to every user, upping this limit would be helpful for transferring large files over broadband (I was hoping to do more of this when I got my Gmail accounts, but alas...).

Also, I know there are several programs out there that will mount Gmail like an online hard drive (and if anyone knows of a decent client for OS X, please post), but having this feature come with Gmail would be great and go a long way towards accomplishing my first point above. If Google ever started charging, maybe this could be one feature for paid accounts...

5. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

If they switched from POP to IMAP I would be elated. Otherwise, I really have no issues with it. I mostly use it through a client so I don't know about the online features.