Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Penman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Is anyone here using a GMail (Google Email) account with Safari on Panther? Navigator handles GMail fine but Safari dosn't. It just sits there and none of the links on the page work when clicked. Every other browser I've tried works. What's up with Safari? I thought it was king of standards compatibility?

Nny

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Penman said:
Is anyone here using a GMail (Google Email) account

Your in the invite-only beta? Tell me, what's it like? How does the search ability work?

About2SwitchOvr

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2004
Boston
GMail available? Not yet, correct?

Nny said:
Your in the invite-only beta? Tell me, what's it like? How does the search ability work?

I just logged onto their site, and there is still no option to join. All I did so far was add my e-mail to the "interested party" list...

smknappy

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2003
It's Very Cool

Nny said:
I've been very impressed with it so far. Forwarded 8,000+ emails to my gmail account to play around with. Search is incredibly fast and accurate. Their use of labels (kind of like folders, but better) and conversation grouping works great as well.

Penman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Gmail

Nny said:

It's fairly novel. The real appeal for me is the storage. The Search is just like Google - but the search at Yahoo! is pretty good too. The real unique factor is that if you send an email to 5 people and they all respond, their responses are presented together, on one page, as a 'conversation.'

Penman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Gmail

HexMonkey said:
Gmail does not currently support Safari. The browser requirements can be found at https://gmail.google.com/gmail/browser_requirements.html

Yep - I know. You can use any browser you want though. That list is just the stuff they have tested. The question is - why doesn't Safari work. If it handles web standards where is it having a problem? Every other browser I've tried works fine.

Safari also had problems ploadign content via Yahoo!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.