Gmail

Discussion in 'Community' started by dorqiekat, Oct 28, 2004.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Hi, I've heard gmail being recommended here and tried to sign up for it...:( and I couldn't. Do you guys know how I can do that? thanks.

2. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

There's a thread on this, but PM me your email address and i'll get u an invite.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

FWIW, I can't seem to even begin to get excited about my Gmail account. I've had it for a number of months, and haven't even checked it in probably two months. I wish I'd let someone else have my invite. Personally, I think it's too much of a hassle to keep checking it for new mail, and I don't have a need for 1GB of net-stored email that Google can search whenever they like.

Apparently, though, others love it.

4. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

How is it any more hassle than checking any other web-based email account? It's a damn site quicker than other services

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have Earthlink as my ISP, and I just use their email (also have a .mac account). Am I missing something? Why would I want an internet email? I used Hotmail in the past, and it was a pain.

The only reasons I can think of are...

1) Not having to change address if I change ISP, which could be a good reason

2) With Gmail, having more storage space... but I can move anything offline as it is

3) Having an email address my wife doesn't know about and won't check (not a good idea)

Any others I'm overlooking? I haven't really thought hard about it...

6. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Yahoo and Hotmail, for example, both have notification of new mail through their respective IM clients (yahoo messenger and msn messenger) but I use gmail anyway. It takes all of 10 seconds to check for new mail, and when I check for myself, instead of automatically, it means I actually have time to deal with any new mail that might be there, instead of feeling interrupted by it

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I don't check other web-based email accounts except while at work. The problem is that it's always web-based, whereas I'm at one system 90% of the time. So, for me, Gmail has little appeal. I tried it, but it just isn't what I want - and it spooks me that Google has that stuff around forever to be searched at any time.

I can easily see why others would like it, though.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i just hope that Gmail will support POP or IMAP access eventually, even if you have to pay for it, i couldnt justify paying for Yahoo or Hotmail, but i think Gmail would be worth it, as long as its not some outlandish sum of money

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Funny, but I want almost the opposite, the Gmail features (in a local program, not over the wuhwuhwuh) without going through Google. Tiger features might make that a straightforward problem to solve.

10. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i just use the gmail notifier for firefox and it's even easier than thunderbird for my sbc account. i love gmail because i have about 500mb of stuff on it, because i pretty much use it as a netdisk, emailing myself stuff so i can access it anywhere and i love the conversations

11. atif.muhammad macrumors member

Invitation

could someone send me an invite?

is there a way to forward an invite though? my bro's birthday is this tuesday so i thought i'd get him a gmail account. he'll love it. he the geeky type. 24yrs old..........

atif.muhammad@gmail.com

12. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'd love one too please...

And here I thought that I could sign up myself.

dorqiekat@yahoo.com

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Have you ever travelled? Have you ever been to an internet cafe in......Thailand? New Zealand? Rome? London?

14. atif.muhammad macrumors member

cheers for the invite man.

i decided to give the gmail to my dad. im sure he'll love it. he'll probably try uploading all his movies on there! lol!

15. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

If you have Earthlink as an ISP, they include Earthlink Web-Mail for free. It's only 10MB of storage, but you can then download them to your Mail or Entourage when you get home. I much prefer this method to web-based email only, like Gmail.

16. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

For me the attraction of GMail is that my messages never go away, and are instantly searchable. I have a tendency to get an interesting link or other snippet from a friend, and leave it in my inbox because I can't think what to do with it, and have lost things when AOL's 90-day limit sneaks up on me. Maybe it says too much about my organizational skills, but having an inbox that can function as a bottomless junk drawer is very enticing to me. :D

My one problem with GMail, currently, is that it doesn't work in Safari in Jaguar...it requires the version of Safari that needs Panther, and I haven't spent the money on Panther. When I get two spare moments to rub together, I'm going to put Firefox on the TiBook and then I'll be able to get my GMail at home. At which point I will send out the blanket email informing everyone that my GMail account will from then on be my primary personal address.

Another problem with GMail that I hope will soon be fixed, or is limited to Internet Explorer, is that even though the fields are there to store multiple addresses, phone numbers, etc. for a single contact, I was unable to save my changes when editing several of my contacts to reflect that. I'll try it again under Firefox before reporting as a bug.

17. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I have way to many email addys, including 2 gmail accounts. At home I have a gmail indicator in the menu bar which works great. At work, where I am forced to use windows, I use the firefox indicator.

I am thinking of forwarding my .mac addy to the gmail account (almost certain if google adds IMAP to Gmail) and using all of my .mac MB for my idisk. Right not I have 30mb dedicated to email so it won't be a huge jump, but it would be kinda nice to check all my email in one place (I would then need to forward my comcast emails to it as well).

That would leave my Yahoo account as the lone hold out and I barely use that one, only for online registrations.

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Actually, yes, I have traveled extensively...

Manchester
    Paris
    Carracas
    Panama
    Sao Paulo
    Jamaica
    Vienna
    Amsterdam
    Damascus
    Jerusalem
    Cairo

Those off the top of my head... so, yes, been around a bit.

As jrv3034 said, Earthlink includes webmail with the account, so receiving and sending has never been a problem. Don't most ISP provide something like that nowdays? AOL does... and I suppose others do.

19. atif.muhammad macrumors member

Another Gmail

hey man,

could i have another invite please? my sister wants gmail as welll....

20. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

I like it because i can use it exclusively. Most webmail services aren't big enough to do this. There's also the archive/search features which are great. I just dump all my emails into one file, and star the really important ones.

21. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

22. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

come on mrmacman its turned into a discussion about gmail. The gmail forward thread is way too big...it needs to be purged.

oh and big writing needs to be triple checked for spelling mistakes. :D