gmail's popularity: EXPLAIN.

Discussion in 'Community' started by sonofslim, Jun 22, 2004.

1. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2003
    question: why gmail? or, to be more precise: why are so many people salivating over it? check craigslist, ebay, or any number of barter/trade sites, and the amount of traffic in gmail invites is kind of staggering, with demand far outstripping supply.

so... why? do that many people really need 1GB of email storage? or is it because google has such a "feel-good" corporate image that everyone wants in? or is the invite-only beta just a brilliant freaking piece of marketing?

please explain... i'm just a cave-man. i don't understand your modern viral marketing concepts.
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I'm clueless as to the popularity as well. I've got a .mac account. I've got two other accounts, plus a few free ones I use on occasion. I can't begin to understand why I need yet another account - regardless of the allowed size - to store my email.

The more accounts I have, the more likely I am to not see important mail in one of them. I like having all of my mail instantly accessible to me, and I don't really like the idea of it being stored and searched by Google.

As it stands, all of my mail is on one system. I can access that system from anywhere, but I do 95% of my work on that system. I backup the accounts religiously, and it's quite simple to move my mail onto my ancient powerBook when I'm travelling, and back to the G5 when I get home.

To me, the only appeal is the ability to have one account which you can use even if you transfer ISPs. That's nice. But, otherwise, I don't see the point.
  3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    For me, a big part of it is the Google image-- they've consistently held themselves to a high moral standard and thus my experience with them has been nothing short of superb ever since I switched from Yahoo searching back in, what, 2001? It's such a great change of pace from the freakishly overdone portal sites that compete. And gmail is no exception, I've only been using it for a day but it is easily the best webmail i've ever used... of course, it's not perfect, but before it publicly launches, it'll be much closer...

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I can't really explain it, but there may be some attraction for all the johnsmith4537 email folks. Imagine if you cancelled all the .com names and let some people pick the choice ones early on, and let them get marketed. It's a landrush, and people want to claim or or whatever.
  5. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2003
    Why are people salivating over it?

The same reasons people salivate over apple products:
    1. Supply and Demand. There is seldom enough supply to meet demand.
    2. It offers a little bit more than the rest of the competitors.
    3. The media like writing about it, and have quite polarized opinions on it.
  6. yahooz macrumors member

Mar 11, 2004
    because it is a chance for people to register the names they never lucked out on with your yahoos and hotmails.

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    All right, it doesn't take a professional psychiatrist to figure this one out. Gmail is popular because of the following 3 keywords:

It's also popular because a lot of people feel that Google's search engine is the best out there (although I feel otherwise), and that the fact that Google is building an email search engine into their webmail service makes those people seriously eager to "see" the search engine still being the best out there.

Of course, it's been about 1.6 months since all that news was first announced. That means that originally people that wanted Gmail accounts wanted it for those three (four actually) reasons, but now it's all "want" "want" "want." And you'll be seeing that a lot more aggressively in the following couple of months unless somebody puts out a report that Gmail has a "superfeature" that tones down the "just gimme an invite" and brings back up the "I want a Gmail account so bad..."
  8. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, Gmail doesn't permit you to have an email address shorter than 6 characters long. They say that shorter addresses are more likely to get spam, so the limit is supposed to help cut down on the junk mail.
  9. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i think it's because google has almost become synonmous with "searching", as the use of "just google it" shouold prove. But the lure of 1Gb to those, like my numerous friends whose hotmail accounts are barely usable because it's always full will tell you.

Personally, i used to hate using google, i had always gotten more "ads" than actual hits. It's been a bit better the few times i've recently.
  10. sandmann41 macrumors regular

Apr 5, 2004
    Frederick, Md
    The interface and the way it is set up are really nice.
  11. Menkar macrumors newbie

Feb 19, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I've got DSL from SBC and since they are in alliance with Yahoo I just got my mailbox upgraded to 2GB. Don't know what I should do with it though? Most e-mails are junk anyway :p
  12. durvivor macrumors member

Jun 23, 2003
    Gmail's popularity stems from the very minor differences between it and other web-based email applications. The first minor difference is that Gmail has a very speedy search capability. The search capability is speedy 1) because the search dialog is on the main page of the application (Unlike Yahoo where you must first click search, then enter your criteria, then specify what folders to search.) 2) Somehow magically the search results come up faster than I've ever seen with any other web-based email.

The second minor difference is that this application requires less maintance than other tools. With all that storage space I don't need to maintain my email. To me this means I don't have to spend any time deciding what emails to keep and what emails to delete. Also, no maintance means I don't have to spend time filing? For me that means not having to decide what folder should I put this email in? Plus, I have the advantage of Gmail being platform / hardware independent. I've got access to my stuff at work (windows) and at home (apple) and on the road (wherever) I like gmail because when I change my home computer, I wont need to port my mail or settings or whatever. Less maintainance.

These two minor differences really make gmail stand out in my mind. Sure, other folks are offering 1gb of mail. However people make the mistake of thinking thats what Gmail is about, 1gb of storage. That isn't it, Gmail is about speedy search and low maintance, and other stuff I'm leaving out because others have mentioned them already. (Joe.Smith is the happiest guy in the world now)

Plus, I personally can't help but feel that google will stand the test of time. I think they will be around in five, ten years. Maybe the others offering 1gb of mail (no, i'm not talking about hotmail or yahoo or umm spymac) won't?
  13. durvivor macrumors member

Jun 23, 2003
    Wow, thats too much! There is no way you should have been allowed to use "it's quite simple to ..." after the way you introduce your setup.

What keeps you from just letting some of the old address's go?
  14. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    far and away the best webmail client i've seen, and like paul said, not even public yet.

i like the way it groups messages, and you can't beat 1gig storage
  15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    1. Free
    2. 1 GB of Storage
    3. Decent Spam Blocking (supposed to be)
    4. Everyone wants one
    5. 'Because everyone uses Google'
    6. Because you know you want one too.
    I got my gmail account (not mrmacman!!!) but mrmacman was already taken (noooooo) so I got a version of my name... bastards. :rolleyes: