Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
I never updated iTunes on my MBP and fired it up the other day and realized how much I missed decent-sized album art and could also appreciate how one could miss the cover view.

So how do I go back to 10.7.1? Better question, can I? Has 11.x done anything to my iTunes library files that makes going back impossible. (I've bought and downloaded things since then.)

If there's no compatibility issue, then what path to follow. I've got time machine backups going all the way to Aug 2011. Do I just restore the iTunes.app file or is there more to it than that? Or is there some place I can download an install .dmg for 10.7.1 and just install over 11.x? Or do I have to toss 11.x into the trash first?

And if I can get back, then am I hosed from an App store standpoint, in that will he recognize that I "need" to now upgrade again to 11.0.2, or does that process get screwed up. I don't want to do anything that will upset the normal software update checking processes.

I guess I'm thinking about this from a windows standpoint, where he would install in dozens of different locations and there were registry database entry considerations and all that. Is it easier under Mountain Lion? I don't feel a great need to go back to 10.7.1 (11.x does work), but I think I'd like to.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

carboncocoa

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Keep in mind that all iTunes database files (located in ~/Music/iTunes) are updated with each version of iTunes, so I'm not quite sure about the success rate of restoring those. Maybe some clever XML voodooists among us know some tricks.

Of course, you could rebuild your iTunes database with a previous version of iTunes, but you'll lose iTunes-specific metadata like ratings. Another thing you'll likely lose is any info unique to the Sort tab when you get info on a media file within iTunes.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the Sort info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.